Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lp spooler problem

Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

lp spooler problem

I met a very strange problem about lp spooler.

I am trying to print a job through one of my serial printers which name is P9 located at /dev/c5p9_lp.

After I submitted the job, I can get the request id, for example:
# banner welcome | lp -dP9
request id is P9-602 (standard input)

However, when I use lpstat, it said nothing:
# lpstat P9
no entries

I checked the printer by using lpstat -t, it said printer P9 is idle.

Where is my submitted job?

But, if I disable P9 and do the same steps, I can see the job:
# disable P9
printer "P9" ow disabled
# banner welcome | lp -dP9
request id is P9-603 (standard input)
# lpstat P9
P9-603 root priority 0 Jul 23 17:00
(standard input) 332 bytes

I have restarted the lp spooler, but nothing changed, any idea?
1 REPLY
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: lp spooler problem

Hi Shawn,

Check /var/spool/lp/log to see if the job was submitted. I think it was. This is what I think is happening. You have a baudrate/parity/stopbits mismatch and the job is being sent but the printer is unable to actually do anything with the data. You might try sending a really big text file and then doing a stty -a < /dev/c5p9_lp. I assume that this a direct attach serial device and not a
terminal server. The other thing to check is the device node itself. Are the major/minor device number consistant with the device.

Hope this helps, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.