1752795 Members
6092 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lpd "resource temporarily unavailable"

Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

Re: lpd "resource temporarily unavailable"

Note that it should matter, but this is Redhat AS 2.1 Update 2(Redhat AS 4.0).

Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Anthony,

So is this RHEL2.1 (according to kernel version 2.4.9) or RHEL4?

Can you please send your lpd.conf & printcap files?

Try to add debug option to lpd.
Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

This is Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 (kernel is kernel 2.4.9-e.62)

We never touched lpd.conf (everything is commented out). Attached is our printcap file.

Also, I believe this issue started on Monday the 6th. SAR logs show swap going up to 25% used at that time and never went back down until the reboot. Gradually Swap usage grew from the 25% used to 100% used the morning of the 9th (when we started having lpd issues). Checking simlar systems normally swap is around 2-3% used.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Probably your server was really overloaded?
I suggest you to do two things:
- increase debug level for lpd ("-D" with some options)
- in addition to sar you can run "top" command via crontab in order to monitor cpu/memory utilization by each process
Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

Top and Sar looked "OK" before we rebooted (did sar -u 5 5 and we were 90% idle). Top showed nothing strange at the time.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

but you spoke about unusual high memory consuming, right?
Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

SAR logs showed we were at 100% Swap usage, but running SAR from the command line showed "OK" at the time (a few minutes before we chose to reboot).

Again, we only did "sar -u 5 5". We didn't look at swap specifically from command line.

We tried bouncing lpd, ran TOP, ran SAR, checked a few other things but probably should have ran more SAR commands to get more "live" detail. We looked at the SAR logs after the reboot, which is when we saw that Swap usage started creeping up on Monday the 6th and maxed out the morning of the 9th.

I'm thinking lpd dying and not starting was a symptom, it probably wasn't specifically an lpd issue (but then again may have been). Something on the 6th started making the system use much more Swap than normal and it never went back down to a normal level until after the reboot.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

>I'm thinking lpd dying and not starting >was a symptom, it probably wasn't >specifically an lpd issue

Agree!
Anthony_141
Regular Advisor

problem has not reoccurred