108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lsof 4.81 issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Thanks SEP, but I have already done that. I have also talked with Vic Abell and he is pointing towards HP implementation of PSTAT as the issue.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

I get the same stacktrace on IPF but I don't get any hangs with: lsof +aL1 /var

It doesn't seem like pstat_getsocket should be waiting for PIPE.

>HP support has been useless.

In what way? Have you given them a small test case that calls pstat_getsocket and hangs?

Do you know which socket it is hanging on?

Try finding which PID has the socket? Loop through all of the PIDs with "lsof +aL1 /var -p PID1":
for P in $(UNIX95=EXTENDED_PS ps -e -opid=); do
lsof -p $P +aL1 /var
done
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

> In what way?

Every time I call support I get dumped to a call center in India or Costa Rica. Then I have to ask to be sent to tier 2 support. Then the guys at that level aren't software engineers. Basically, I am not able to talk to the correct people.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

It hangs when it hit the pid for /etc/vx/bin/vxconfigbackupd
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Oops, wrong pid. It's actually:

/opt/java1.5/jre/bin/PA_RISC2.0/java -DXPPA=1 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -cp classes/xpdevicemap.jar:classes/bccaservice.j

Looks like the xp performance advisor agent.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I stopped the process and now lsof is working fine. I wonder who I need to contact at HP to get them to look at this.
erics_1
Honored Contributor

Court,

Ask that your case be sent to the backline languages group. Chances are you're being dumped into backline sys admin.

Hope you get somewhere with it.

Regards,
Eric
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Dennis. I need you to reply. You deserve a bunny for this.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>I am not able to talk to the correct people.

I would have thought HP-UX support would be better than this.

>Oops, wrong pid. It's actually:

I probably should have had this in the loop:
UNIX95=EXTENDED_PS ps -x -p $P -opid= -oargs=

>need you to reply. You deserve a bunny for this.

Here you go.

>erics: Ask that your case be sent to the backline languages group.

This has nothing to do with languages, this is more kernel or libc. When they ask me, I would just have to them to move it along. :-)
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Looks like the xp performance advisor agent.

Now that you know the application, it should be a simple matter to write a program to look through the files and show pstat_getsocket hangs. ;-)