108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lvextend and extendfs on Oracle data filesystems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Marmagas_1
Occasional Contributor

lvextend and extendfs on Oracle data filesystems

I have an Oracle data filesystem and an Oracle index filesystem I need to increase. (The volumes are under MC/ServiceGuard, but are not OPS and not in shared mode.) My questions are: (1) Can I lvextend the logical volume for a data or index filesystem while the database is running, or can this potentially cause database corruption? (2) Can I extendfs the filesystem for data or index while the database is running (assuming I have OnLineJFS licensed), or can this potentially cause database corruption?
7 REPLIES 7
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,

According to the manual increasing the filesystems is supported with the package up using Online JFS. Decreasing is supported the same way only we are flagged to use caution.

From the MC/ServiceGuard I student book

Goodluck

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can do it if you have OnLineJFS installed but I recommend that you backup the filesystem and then do this activity.

Piyush
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Addition

Just to be clear the command you would be using is fsadm.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Bill

There are no problems in extending idf you ahve online JFS installed and working. We even use it for raw fielssytems.

Manoj Srivastava
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
With OnlineJFS you can extend the LV and file system with out problem. You may even use sam to do this.
Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

First, If you are using Online JFS, then you use 'fsadm' to extend the filesystem instead of 'extendfs'.

That said, if you are using Online JFS, then, *yes*, you can 'lvextend' the logical volume and then 'fsadm' the filesystem to its new size, all while the filesystem is in use. Afterall, that's the reason for having the Online JFS components.

If yhou are *not* using Onlie JFS, then, *no*, you cannot do this "online", since you must first ummount the filesystem.

As for MC/ServiceGuard, the size of a logical volume is deduced during its volume group activation, so you need not take your cluster down if this logical volume is part of a shared group.

As with any LVM maintenance, you are cautioned to have adequate backup available.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bill,

If you have OnlineJFs you can do this and this should not corrupt your data if you do this online. However if this is a production server, you would like to take a backup, just in case of a mishap.

If you don't have onlineJFS, you'll have to unmount the filesystem and then increase the size.

Hope this helps.

regds