1753259 Members
5195 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mailx stopped working

Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

Are you sure the working server isn't the non-working one here ?

Why do I say this:

lan0: flags=1843
inet 126.1.3.225 netmask fffffc00 broadcast 126.1.3.255

Your IP address cannot be your broadcast address. This is something fishy, and I would expect problems here.

Can you ping the IP address of the default gateway from the non-working machine ?

Cheers,
Wout
an engineer's aim in a discussion is not to persuade, but to clarify.
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

If you look quick it looks like the IP and broadcast addresses are the same but if look close the IP ends in 225 and the gateway ends in 255...

I cannot ping the firewall server from either server, I think the network admin must have pinging disabled or something...
Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

If you don't have quick access to the formal documentation of these settings, it might help to do an 'nslookup ' on your own pc.

That is likely to provide the IP address that this machine should have (instead of the broadcast address).

Cheers,
Wout
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

The IP address of the working server is set correctly... nslookup from both the non-working server and my PC both return 126.1.3.225 as the IP address for that server...
Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

Haha, I'm so sorry. I actually misread that address. That's what 5 hours of traffic jams will do to you :)

So we're back to the unreachable network. Can the working and the non-working server ping each other normally ?
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

That's ok, I read it the same way the first time.. :)

Both servers can ping each other by name and IP but they are both also in each others host files...
Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

Have you tried the telnet to the smtp port as suggested by Steven and described by Philip ?

# telnet healthplus.com.s8a1.psmtp.com 25
# telnet healthplus.com.s8b2.psmtp.com 25
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

Working server connects just fine, non-working server returns this:

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

Posted problem at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1171590 and somehow managed to get this working now, thanks everyone for your suggestions!