108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_recovery on a mirrored disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luigi Manto
Occasional Contributor

make_recovery on a mirrored disk

Hi again! After fixing the problem with my mirrored disk I plan to do a make_recovery. I heard that you need to lvsplit then do a make_recovery and then lvmerge again. My question is that, how can you tell make_recovery to do a make_recovery on the split copy (lvol1b, lvol2b , etc.)of mirrored disk? I hope you guys could also provide me with the step by step procedures.

Thanks again in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Luigi:

There is no need to do anything to your mirrored logical volumes in order to create an Ignite recovery tape.

*If* you are restoring a server with a recovery tape, you will need to manually (including via a script) remirror logical volumes as this configuration is *not* preserved.

Regards!

...JRF...
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Luigi,

James is correct, he usually is. Below is one
of the preferred methods for creating an
ignite tape.

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Make note the use of the no-rewind device, it must be used to put first the bootable portion on the tape and then the tar archive of the rest of the vg00 volume group.

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Again, as JRF said there is no need to do an lvsplit before creating a make_tape_recovery tape.

You are making a lot of unnecessary work if you do that.

Whoever is spreading that myth needs to stop!
Mike_305
Super Advisor
Solution

Hi,

Restore the system using your recovery tape and then run this script to re-mirror your root volume group. (see attachment)

Thanks,

Mike
If there is problem then don't think as problem, think as opportunity.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Luigi,

Like the others have already told you, you don''t have to split the mirrors to create a make_recovery archive.

Simply login as root as with the DAT/DLT in your default driver (/dev/rmt/0m) run this command
# make_recovery -Avi
It takes about half an hour or a little more to create a make_recovery archive. Store it for use later.

Do remeber that if you are required to restore the OS using your make_recovery archive, you have to manually configure the mirror. This you would be required to do only if both your disks fail.

In case only one disk fail, you can rebuild the mirror by this process.

Replace the failed disk, boot using your working disk, do a mkboot on the new disk, build the LIF on the new disk, do a vgcfgrestore on the new disk and do a vgsync for /dev/vg00. This will rebuild the mirror on the new disk.

Hope this helps.

thanks