Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mount CDROM with rock ridge extensions

Benjamin Folk Jr.
Occasional Visitor

mount CDROM with rock ridge extensions

How can I successfully mount a cdrom in HPUX 11.0 with rock ridge extensions?
I am able to mount it using the mount command, but the filenames show up in caps and end in semicolons:# cd cdrom
# ls
DOC INSTALL RR_MOVED STAGE
INDEX.HTM;1 LSM RUNINSTALLER.;1 STARTERDB

I am trying to install Oracle8i. I tried using the pfs_mount command, but it returns an error: # pfs_mount /cdrom
pfs_mount: giving up on /cdrom

I tried adding an entry to my /etc/ps_fstab file, but did not seem to make a difference. I had to make the file and the Oracle installations instructions assumed it would be there. /dev/dsk/c4t2d0 /cdrom pfs-iso9660

Please point me in the riht direction. I am relatively new to UNIX and COMPLETELY new to Oracle. There is noone here at the company I can talk to for assistance.

I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance,

Ben
bfolk@palarco.com

7 REPLIES
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: mount CDROM with rock ridge extensions

1. Start The PFS daemons, in order for you to mount the CD's:

nohup pfs_mountd &
nohup pfsd &

2. Mount the CD with the pfs_mount command:

pfs_mount -o xlat=unix /dev/dsk/dev_file /mount_point

Refer to pfs_mountd(1M), pfsd(1M), pfs_mount(1M) and pfs(4)
for more details.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

The following documents should help you:

# KBAN00000252 (PFS to mount Oracle, Rockridge and most PC formatted CD-ROM 11.x)

or:

# KBAN00000197 (PFS to mount Oracle, Rockridge and most PC formatted CD-ROM 10.x)

...JRF...
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

there is a good thread that describes all the steps:
http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xdb587e990647d4118fee0090279cd0f9,00.html

you can also do a search for pfs_mount in the forums (top left button)

...and man pfs_mount also has some valuable information...
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Use the pfs_mount command as explained in the posts. To find the CDROM device, do an 'ioscan -fnCdisk'. There will be an entry for the CDROM drive. (/dev/dsk/cXtXdX)
Use this device name when you configure the pfs_fstab file and such.
Benjamin Folk Jr.
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up trying to install the recommended patch and ran into more problems. Using swinst, I was told that I did not have the proper permissions to install the patch. Anyway, I mounted the Oracle CDROM in a Sun machine and setup NFS. I have the share mounted on the HP box and will give it a try today.

Thanks again everyone,

Ben
Benjamin Folk Jr.
Occasional Visitor

Thanks everyone. I tried it agin today using your suggestions and it worked. Unfortunately, Oracle wont install correctly. I am getting tons of exception errors, but at least I know how to mount an rr CDROM now.

I really appreciate everyone's assistance.

Ben
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Benjamin:

Please consider assigning points, as you see fit, for those who helped. These are also appreciated in addition to your expression of 'thanks' above.

...JRF...