1753873 Members
7519 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mount partition ntfs ????????

dude_2

mount partition ntfs ????????

how can i see files of windows ?
when im on linux... i heard about mount partition or something like dat but i wanna know how.
because i need to format the windows partition and i wanna move some files to linux cuz i dont wanna lose em.
thanks a lot hope u help me

redhat 9
3 REPLIES 3
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: mount partition ntfs ????????

Hi,

From your linux partition, you need to locate your windows partition. This can be done from hat menu / system tools / hardware browser. You'll see on your Hard disk section reference to your windows parition being like 'hda1' or something like that, depending on your install.
To see it from linux, close hardware browser (you just opened it to see the partition number , hda1 or hdb6 and so on). Open a shell, being root, and type :
mkdir /mnt/win
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win (where hda1 is your windows partition).
cd /mnt/win
You are in.

Notice :
- if you are with ntfs filesystem, it's somehow harder, as you need to recompile your kernel to read ntfs type partition.
- When you'll format your windows partition, you'll loose access to your linux partition, as windows will erase the MBR and grub. To get it back, boot from your redhat cd1, and type 'linux rescue' at prompt. Then ok to all up to the time you get a shell. Then :
chroot /mnt/sysimage
/sbin grub--install /dev/hda
You get the boot loader back...

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

To automagically mount the Windows partition put a line similar to the following into your
fstab

/dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,user,umask=022 0 2

(if the ro = readonly is required depends on your version of the NTFS support in the kernel)
dude_2

well it wasn't supported by the kernel
NEVERMIND..... i installed all again.
thanks