New Discussion юеВ

mouse stops working after installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

mouse stops working after installation

Hi there --

I did an installation of Red Hat 9 onto a workstation, and during the install the usb mouse was recognized and used without difficulty.

The problem is now that the installation is done, the mouse is not recognized and is unusable.

I have gone through the motions of running the mouseconfig utility, as well as modifying the /etc/X11/XFree86Config file. Additionally, I have connected the mouse via a usb to ps/2 adapter. None of the above has worked. Upgrading to a newer version of Red Hat linux is not an option at this time.

Does anyone have any idea as to how to get the mouse to work? Thanks.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
3 REPLIES 3
Steven McCoy
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: mouse stops working after installation

If you do a 'dmesg' after connecting the mouse, what are the last 4 - 7 lines displayed?

Have you tried using GPM from the console (not in X)?

You should be able to start/restart GPM with:

/etc/init.d/gpm restart

See if a mouse cursor shows up on the console when you move your mouse, now. If it shows up as detected in dmesg but does not move with GPM, then you'll probably need to configure GPM.

Please paste your dmesg output when connecting/disconnecting your mouse, and we should be able to get you moving.
Nuwan Alwis
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrew,
Start the system with out USB mouse plugged in.
login to a console and
tail -f /var/log/messages
while this commands running on the background plugin the USB mouse and see if it get detected properly and no errors prompted.
This way you can make sure that your ports are not faulty.
Setup tool will help you out with reconfiguring the current x settings.
start with low resolution screen and see if it works.
Good Luck...!
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

Thanks for the reply everyone. I ended up doing an 'upgrade' using the installation media. I didn't add any new applications to the system, but I made sure to select the appropriate mouse during the setup process.

The upgrade took about two minutes to complete, and once that was done, the system was rebooted, and the mouse worked.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge