Hi,

You can even use cp instad of dd. Example:

cp

Good luck!

Marcin
zhuchao
Advisor

Re: moving raw device to filesystem

Marcin Gonet is wrong. Raw device cannot be copied in this way. Use dd or rman.
Rman is the preferred way as id does not care about the lvm reserved blocks.
If you use dd, maybe you have to use dd skip=xx bs=xx.
www.happyit.net
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Bill Hassell,
Can you drop me a quick Email? (I could not find you in the HP ldap) Hein at hp dot com.

Bill: The only possible way to convert is to export the entire database. Note that the exported data may need a bit more space than the raw device since general-purpose HP-UX directories must be created.

I beg to differ, a block of data is a block of data. They are exactly the same whether in a file or on a raw device. The only gotcha is that raw devices (on some platforms) skip the disk header / label and thus when moving data you need to skip 64kb (dd skip / iseek / oseek).

I do agree that export/import is the only SUPPORTED way.

miki,

Just to satisfy our curiosity... why move?

Anyway, be sure to TRY with a TEST tablespace!
Just create a fresh (LVM) raw devive, plop in a table, transfer and see if you find your data back no?!

Also, check out the relatively unknown "TRANSPORTABLE TABLESPACES" as a supported way to perform bulk moves, and copies even between databases. (must have enterprise edition). See chapter 11 in the Database Administrators's guide: Managing Tablespaces... Transporting Tablespaces.

Finally, always use (soft) links for your DB files, such that you can avoid the 'alter database... rename' or 'create control file for'.

Regards,
Hein.
Marcin Gonet_1
Advisor

chao_ping,

Why are you saying I am wrong? Miki Leon was asking for a reply from a person who did it and I did it several times without any problem.

So nevertheless it is not a supported solution, you can use dd or even cp. It works.