1752579 Members
3700 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: moving to new disk array

bassey essien_1
Frequent Contributor

moving to new disk array

I want to move my entire filesystems on my existing disk array to new one.
Iam considering many options:
1. backup and restore to new disk array, i know
this is a very slow process.
2. Vgextend the existing VG to new PV.
Iam want to initialize the new disk with pvcreate command.
My question is, do i need to re-create
volume groups on the new disk array or only vgextend the current VG to new disk array.
Iam also considering exporting the entire VG and importing it back on new disk array.We intend to discontinue using our old disk array.
Any suggestions will be appreciated, i intend to minimize downtime for users.
thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Brian Markus
Valued Contributor

Have you considered doing a dd ? You could mount the new one, and do a dd of the intire filesystem to the new drive. kind of like Ghost. Have you considered useing ignite? There is a switch in ignite to do non root volumes to tape. the dd from one disk to the other would probabily be faster though.

Hope this helps,
Brian
When a sys-admin say's maybe, they don't mean 'yes'!
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

I've recently done this using cpio. Simply create new volume groups and lvols for the new array, mount them using some logical name (such as /bk_u01), cpio the data from the current mount to the new mount (/u01 -> /bk_u01), then switch the mount point names around.
Mark Mitchell
Trusted Contributor

Tom is on the right track, doing a disk to dik copy with cpio is also the fastest way to move the information. Plus if you have more than one volume you can break up the work to keep the system online longer than taking it down to do the whole thing at one sitting. Just create the new location. CD to the old location and do a
find . -depth -print|cpio -pdm /newlocation
Then mount the new volume to the old mount point.
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What are the disk arrays that you are using? Do they support ESCON links. If they do, you can perform Remote Copy from the old disk array to the new disk array.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It is 2:32 am in the morning and I actually forgot to mention my rationale for suggesting ESCON links for the data migration.

With ESCON links, you can synchronize the data between the two disk arrays (eg. between Hitachi and HP disk arrays). When you are ready to cut-over, the downtime incurred would be minimal because data is already in-sync.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com