108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

multiple java versions

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

multiple java versions

Hi all:

Got a L system running 11.23

Got some DBAs wanting to have 7 different versions of java installed. I have seen the 3 main versions - 1.3, 1.4, 1.5

But the request is for 1.5.0_01, 1.5.0_03, 1.4.2_04, 1.4.2_08, 1.3.1_05, 1.3.1_09, 1.3.1_13

Here is my confusion. When doing the install it will install into (example) /opt/java1.3. How am I going to put these multiple versions of 1.3 into the same directory area? Also, the swinstall will fail because it detects an install already. I can choose to reinstall but that will overwrite what is already there.

Do the DBAs really need all of these versions within the same major release?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Re: multiple java versions

All of those versions will have to go into different subdirectories (and they should). Then per application that wants to use a different version of Java, they'll all have to have their PATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables set accordingly. That's quite a bit to manage...

Do they need all those versions? I guess it depends on what are they trying to do. Are they trying to compare performance/memory models/features, etc?
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

I agree they need to go into different directories. I believe I will have to manually create the additional directoies and move the the files.

Example; The java1.3.1_13 installed into /opt/java1.3 I would create /opt/java1.3.1_13 directory and then move the files into this new directory.

But still the question, when I swinstall java 1.3.1_09, I will get the swinstall error stating I have a newer version installed. I can go into Options and reinstall but then the IPD will not have the record of 1.3.1_13 being installed.

Is this OK?

Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Rick,

Example; The java1.3.1_13 installed into /opt/java1.3 I would create /opt/java1.3.1_13 directory and then move the files into this new directory.

But still the question, when I swinstall java 1.3.1_09, I will get the swinstall error stating I have a newer version installed. I can go into Options and reinstall but then the IPD will not have the record of 1.3.1_13 being installed.

Is this OK?

You can do the follwing,

1) Install JDK 1.3.1_13 and copy /opt/java1.3 to some other location (Ex : /tmp/java1.3.1_13).

2) Remove JDK 1.3.1_13 using swremove.

3) Move /tmp/java1.3.1_13 /opt/java1.3.1_13

4) Like wise, install multiple versions. Make sure you set PATH and CLASSPATH varibales in correct order.

5) Please note : If you require to link any libs to /usr/lib/hpux32 and /usr/lib/hpux64, you have to do it manually.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I can't believe that they need different levels of java - but if they want (and manage it theirselves to get the right version ...)

You can install from the lowest version to higher level - and make a copy of the directory with a level extension.
If this doesn't work - the best solution is definitively 'install - copy - deinstall'

Have fun!
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***