New Discussion юеВ

Re: nPartition VS vPartition

SOLVED
Go to solution
KCS_1
Respected Contributor

nPartition VS vPartition

Hi, everyone!

I hope to keep good health for all forumers.

This is a my question that what's different between nPar and vPar? it's difficult to get a concept for me..
If you let me know,I will appriciate so much.

Thanx!
Easy going at all.
3 REPLIES 3
Jean-Louis Phelix
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

Basically, npar are hardware partitions, which means that you have several isolated systems in the same box. All of them can be rebooted independently. They don't share anything.

With vpars (virtual partitions), you have several systems running in the same physical system (which can be a npar). They share cpus, memory, IO cards but each of this element can only be affected to one vpar at a time. The isolation is done through a monitor (vpmon) which allocates resources to vpars, but it's only a 'soft' isolation. For the moment, resources allocation is static for memory and IO cards (which means that you have to stop and restart a vpar to change its configuration), and can be dynamic for cpus.

Check also this link :

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=T1335AC

Regards.
It works for me (┬й Bill McNAMARA ...)
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Yea, you'll probably find that single points of failure are limited to hardware for hard partitions and hardware + software for soft ones!

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Efim Kushnir
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

HP has 4 level of Partitions

1. HyperPlex (hard partitions with multiple nodes)- complete HW and SW isolation, node granularity, multiple OS images
2. nPartition (hard partitions with a node) - HW isolation per cell, complete SW isolation, cell granularity, multiple OS images
3. vPartition (virtual partitions within a hard partition) - complete SW isolation, CPU granularity, dynamic CPU migration, multiple OS images
4. PRM, HP-UX WLM (resource partitions) - dynamic resource allocation, automatic goal-based resource allocation via SLOs, share (%) ganularity, 1 OS image

The best isolation is 1 and 2 variants.
The best flexibility is 4 and 3 variants.

BR,
Efim
Look for the answers, do not stop !