Operating System - HP-UX
1748239 Members
3728 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: need help mailx relay and gethostbyaddr entries

need help mailx relay and gethostbyaddr entries

Can anyone tell me what configuration file needs to be revised to change the relay address as noted in the mail.log entry below? I've looked at the mailx.rc and sendmail.cf files and don't see any entry that relates to the relay address.

Also, in addition to the above I'm receiving a message in the mail.log that indicates: gethostbyaddr(10.1.1.5) failed. The IP address in question is no longer valid on our network. Can you also tell me what configuration file holds this information so I can revise it to the correct IP address?

Entries from mail.log
I need to change the relay= entry

Jun 28 23:30:36 stmaryhp sendmail[4596]: XAA04594: to=janedoe@stmaryland.com, ctladdr=root (0/3), delay=00:00:08, xdelay=00:00:07, mailer=esmtp, relay=sendittome.com.inbound.mx
logic.net. [216.183.119.103], stat=Sent (M2005062823325104952 Message accepted for delivery)

I need to change the gethostbyaddr

sendmail[4684]:gethostbyaddr(10.1.1.5) failed: 1

Thanks,
Staci
3 REPLIES 3
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

In the sendmail.cf file, change the DS directive to have your Smart Host relay.

DS=

stop and restart the mail process. Note, you can the stop the mail process as it is not required to send mail out but you do want the config file to be read.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

BTW, drop the = sign;

DS

Can use IP address as well.

Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

Dear ,
The relay address is the mx record for the domain stmaryland.com . So when u send a mail to anyone on this domain it will relay to the server sendittome.com.inbound.mxlogic.net automatically , u cant change this as long as u use dns for name resolution.
Be Always Joy ......