1753857 Members
7339 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: netbackup

Andrew medhurst1
Frequent Advisor

netbackup

i need to work out approx how many nodes a netbackup server will cope with running on a rx3600 itanium server 4 core 32gb ram.
is there a formula to estimate the possible number of nodes or can someone give me any idea of a similar setup.
also would putting the same scenario onto windows be better or worse, my preference is HP-UX any day but i need to validate some one.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

I have no formula but my past experience tells me that it could hanlde several hundred of clients. The important thing is that you have to strike a balance between the lan interfaces bringing the data in the server and the scsi or fiber interface writing out to the tape drives.
You would need to have several LAN interfaces and tape drives to keep this server busy.
Most likely you would run out of i/o before you use all 4 cores.

What kind of setup do you have or are planing for this server?
Andrew medhurst1
Frequent Advisor

we would backup unix clients direct to disk by attaching san and the windows clients would have there own media server
TTr
Honored Contributor

> we would backup unix clients direct to disk by attaching san

And then have the rx3600 read the SAN disks and put them to tape? How much data are we talking about? And what kind of timeframe are you giving your server to put the data to tape? That would determine the amount of i/o interfaces that you will need.