Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new 8400, need 2 hard partitions

Aaron_4
Advisor

new 8400, need 2 hard partitions

Well we just recieved a 8400 with 4 full cells. The system came with 1 partition with all 4 cells in it. I removed cells 1,2,3 and want to make another partition. Would I want to use cell 1 and 3 for the second partition and add 2 back to the first partition or something else?
awmorris
5 REPLIES
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

Re: new 8400, need 2 hard partitions

When it comes to the partition, I'm no expert, but I don't think you have much of a choice where you MUST use cell 0 and cell 1 as your two partitions and then you can add cell 2 and 3 to whichever partition you like.

Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.

That is entirley dependant upon what you want the partitions ot do, and whether you want each partition to have 2 cells each.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Aaron_4
Advisor

I want 2 partitions with 2 cells each.

thanks
awmorris
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Aaron,

You can have 2 partitions with 2 cells.

However only cell0 and cell1 are core capable cells. Do a "parstatus" and observe the output.

Since you already have the OS setup, it is easy to setup the other partition. Use 'parmgr' and take out cell1 and cell 3 and create a new partition.

-Sri

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try

Well to create a partition, you must have a core I/O card.
So as cell0 and cell1 each have one, hen your base partition, 0, must have cell0 and cell2 or 3.
Then partition 1 must have cell1 and cell3 or 2, depending on which one you used in partition 0
Take a look at:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/5187-3603.pdf

particularly Chapter 2
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!