1751687 Members
5324 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: new kernel will not boot

Karim Manji
Occasional Advisor

new kernel will not boot

I installed the Linux Kernel 2.4.18 and then edited the lilo.conf file to have entries for both, with the default being 2.4.18.

The problem I am having, when booting the new kernel, it is not able to find the image, and thus just keeps rebooting to the Lilo prompt.

If I choose to boot the old kernel all works fine.

In the /boot directory I have the file vmlinuz linked to the old kernel file vmlinuz-2.2.12-20. I don't see a similar file for the new kernel. The image I copied from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot is bzImage-2.4.18.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction, so that I may be able to boot the new installed kernel.

TIA
KM
6 REPLIES 6
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello Karim,

If I were you I would post /etc/lilo.conf, just in case there is a configuration issue.

Other thing : could you please post also the config file used to compile the 2.4.18 kernel (/usr/src/linux/.config) ? May be some drivers are missing so the kernel loading cannot be completed.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Karim Manji
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kodjo,

As you requested attached are the lilo.conf and /usr/src/linux/.config file for the Kernel 2.4.18.
Jeff Billman
Frequent Advisor

I notices one thing:

image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.18
label=linux-2418
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img <<<<<
read-only
root=/dev/hda2
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
label=linux-2.2.12
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img <<<<<
read-only
root=/dev/hda2

You have the same initrd file for both kernels.you need to make sure you have a new initrd for your new kernel in /boot and update the lilo.conf file to point to the new file.
Karim Manji
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jeff,

I created a /boot/initrd-2.4.18.img,edited lilo.conf and ran /sbin/lilo. It made no difference. My PC will boot to the LILO Boot: prompt and try to boot (Loading linux-2418.....) and reboot back to the LILO Boot prompt, it will do this till I make it boot from the old kernel. I think it has to do with the vmlinuz (which is linked to the vmlinuz-2.2.12-20 directory. However, I don't have a similar directory for 2.4.18.

As for the initrd file, as from a previous post, it was explained to me that initrd is used if you are using a scsi boot disk. If you are using IDE (as I am) it is not needed. I have also tried the boot with this line deleted, and now with a initrd for 2.4.18.

KM

understanding (from a previous post) is the
Karim Manji
Occasional Advisor

Opps, I meant vmlinuz-2.2.12-20 file, and not directory. The vmlinuz is linked to the file vmlinuz-2.2.12-20, and there is no file like this for 2.4.18.

KM
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Yes, the 'initrd' is to pre-load certain modules for the boot process that haven't been loaded into the kernel by default.

usually this means 'SCSI' modules, but sometimes can mean other things (ie. booting of external network devices etc.).

If it is having trouble trying to boot of a kernel that's been made cleanly, it WILL be showing up some sort of message. It might be flashing up pretty quick, but it will be there.

I take it from your message that you're using an older version of lilo (ie. pre gui startup (thus don't have to CTRL-X to see lilo:))?

It'd be nice if we could have a look through the .config if your kernel source so we can see what you've got as modules, and what you've got as compiled in..
One long-haired git at your service...