1752574 Members
4813 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ntp

Liam_3

ntp

Hi All,
this is probably a no brainer but still I'm having problems with it. I am looking at synchronising a Tru64 server with a W2K domain. I have been looking at info on the web but they all mention the rc.confid.d folder which I can't find. Am I barking up the wrong tree and if so can you help? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: ntp

use ntpsetup to setup the ntp client/server.
on W2K you must start the built in ntp server. not sure if w2k is compatible with ntp.

(in nt4 you can use the ntptime program from the resource kit but this should be delivered with W2K as I heared).

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hello,

The directory path /etc/rc.config.d/ is for system configuration under HP-UX. The equivalent for Tru64 UNIX would be the file /etc/rc.config. This file contains the system configuration information, which includes NTP configuration variables.

For planning and configuring NTP on Tru64 UNIX please see the guide titled "Network Administration: Services " available online at the following web address.

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARPPCBTE/TITLE.HTM

Specifically, Chapter 6 for V5.1B docs.

Hope this helps,
Dave Bechtold
Liam_3

Thanks for your help. Worked like a charm,
Liam.
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Hi Liam,

One little remark.
You must configure NTP, and not SNTP, on the Windows 2000 server that will act as TimeServer.
If you run sntp (Simple Network Time Protocol) on the Windows systems, then your Unix boxes will not be able to synchronise. SNTP is simply not accurate enough.

To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer