3420 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ntpdate on linux

sanjit chand_1
Occasional Contributor

ntpdate on linux

Hello,

I have just installed and am running xntp on my Linux 6.2 version. Can you please tell me now how to run ntpdate -d option from the command line. What is the difference between xntp and ntpdate. From what I gather, I fisrt installed xntp and am running the xntp daemon. I just need to be able to run ntpdate from teh command line which I am unable to do. I keep getting a command not found when I try running it. Help will be greatly appreciated.
Never to late to learn
3 REPLIES 3
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Re: ntpdate on linux

If ntpdate is installed on your system it should be located under /usr/sbin.

xntp is a daemon which runs continously to keep your server's date and time accurate by constantly contacting other time servers. ntpdate is a command line utility which when you execute it, sets the date/time on your server, it does not run continuously.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

ntpdate is part of the ntp package and is located at /usr/sbin/ntpdate. I'm not sure which version of ntp is installed on your system but the latest is at ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/contrib/libc6/i386//ntp-4.0.99k-1.i386.rpm I have had this version running on RedHat 7.0 for some time now. The software does use a fair amount of libraries, but I doubt you should have any problems installing it on 6.2 if you are reasonably up to date. The rpm process will complain if your missing any dependencies. I went ahead and verified that ntpdate is in fact part of the rpm just to be sure.
Dan Am
Frequent Advisor

... on some ditributions it is called "netdate" ...
do what you can. don't if you can't.