1752292 Members
4619 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: # of Jobs by cron

Javier Juarez
Frequent Advisor

# of Jobs by cron

Anyone knows how Can I put more than 100 jobs in a cron file?
2 REPLIES 2
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Currently it seems the limit on cronm is 100, and will stay that way unless you submit an Enhancement Request.

One workaround may be to call a job from within cron, and that script would do various multiple jobs based on your checking date/time circumstances.

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
James Lynch
Valued Contributor

Your could use the "at" command to run your programs and have the program call "at" to reschedule itself to run again. "at" can work with multiple queues. Queues can be defined in the /usr/lib/cron/queuedefs file, see the section 4 manpage for queuedefs for more info. The default queue for "at" is queue "a". Queues "a", "b" and "d" through "z" can be used by "at". Queue "c" is used by cron and only cron.

Be aware that all "at" jobs are handled by the cron daemon and that cron has a hardlimit on the total of all simultaneously running jobs. This limit is called MAXRUN and it is set to 40 and cannot be changed. This limit includes jobs from all of the queues "a" through "z".
Wild turkey surprise? I love wild turkey surprise!