Operating System - OpenVMS
1753706 Members
4708 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: open vms install image error (%INSTALL-E-FAIL, failed to CREATE entry)

durgavms4444
Occasional Contributor

open vms install image error (%INSTALL-E-FAIL, failed to CREATE entry)

i have shutdown VMS V7.3-2  server  and rdb verion is Oracle Rdb V7.1-521 ..

and

i have restarted the applicaiton i found this error what action need to taken care for next time..

my error details are:

=============

%INSTALL-E-FAIL, failed to CREATE entry for DISK$ISAACSYS1:<ISAAC.ISAAC_EXE>ISAA
C.EXE
-INSTALL-E-EXISTS, Known File Entry for a version of this file already exists
%INSTALL-E-FAIL, failed to CREATE entry for DISK$ISAACSYS1:<ISAAC.ISAAC_EXE>ISAA
C_BARSHR.EXE
C_GSMSHR.EXE
C_MCNSHR.EXE
C_QASHR.EXE
C_RANSHR.EXE
C_RECALLSHR.EXE
C_SMSSHR.EXE
C_SQLSHR.EXE
C_VCDSHR.EXE
C_LOYSHR.EXE
C_FREESHR.EXE

again i have shutdown the cluster and startup the applicaiton it went through. is there any other sollution for this?

Durgaprasad G

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, you probably posted on the wrong category, try better on OpenVMS here. Good luck.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

The messages just indicate, that the images, which the application startup procedure wants to install, are already installed.

Maybe there is an application shutdown procedure, which also REMOVEs those images ? Otherwise you can ignore these messages.

If you reboot the system, the images may not be installed automatically, so if you then invoke the application startup procedure, you don't get these '-INSTALL-E-EXISTS, Known File Entry for a version of this file already exists'

Volker.

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

> i have restarted the applicaiton i found this error what action need to taken care for next time..

The action is to change the application startup and add a check for the images in question being already installed or not. This may include a check for the correct version (the secondary error message says "for a version", which may be an older one - this happens if you copy new/updated images before trying to install them) or a unconditional remove of an installed image aka a known entry for an image. An alternative is to change the or create an application shutdown procedure to make sure removing installed images is always done, regardless of other appcation shutdown errors.