4898 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ora-3113 Error

Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

ora-3113 Error

We encountered this on Wednesday.
Oracle's expected response was that it indicated an HP-UX O/S problem.
I have worked with HP Response Center and scanned the Forums. It appears all kernel parameters are fine bot from our perspective and HP Response. (I compared with those mentioned in the forum as well.)
It appears the basics in Oracle, like the env, init, etc. are fine.
In most posts to the forums the issue was resolved via a kernel change or correction of user error.

My question to the forums is -

Aside from the basics what other Oracle related resolutions were discovered.

This db has been running for more than a year on an 11.0 RP7400. Last kernel change was May 2002.
Additional info -
We have noticed memory leak withing the last two months and have scheduled a weekly reboot for this problem. This we know to be oracle related but as yet have not found the exact source.
Oracle 8.1.740

Appreciate any insight. Please forgive me if the points assignments are late since I need to review any responses with the DBA's to assess the level of assistance given.

Regards,

dl
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
11 REPLIES 11
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: ora-3113 Error

PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Memory leaks are pretty easy to spot in applications. Just sort all the processes by RAM used and track the result. The ipcs command will track shared memory usage. To see all the processes sorted by size:

UNIX95= ps -e -o vsz,pid,ruser,args | sort -rn | more

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Jeff and Bill -
Thanks for the starting point.
Our recovery was to go back to a version on business copy from the prior day. Since we lost an entire day's of online business, (batch was recovered), and having no answer from Oracle or HP ( no one resonably expects it to be an O/S problem at this point), we know this will happen again.
As noted, I apoligize for late points postings, but will certainly do so when we can follow up on suggested corrections (no way to change points assignments once done).
Thanks again, as DBA's and SA remain on hot seat for a solution.

Regards,
"Newby SA not ready for retirement."
dl
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

If your database crashed and then this happened, it is possible for the shared memory and semaphore segments to not get cleaned up. You can check them by running the following command:

ipcs

If you see segments owned by oracle, and there is only one database on the system, you can remove the segments with 'ipcrm' with a '-s' for semaphore segments and a '-m' for shared memory segments.

If you have more than one database on the system, you will want to go to svrmgrl in each database, and run "oradebug" to generate a trace, and find the semaphore and shared memory segments associated with the databases running, and find the one that should not be there.

Hope this helps,

Brian
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Brian is right.
It must be that the shared memory segments are not properly cleaned up and there are also some defunct processes running on the machine.

YOu have you check your memory segments using ipcs to see the shared memory,semaphores owned by oracle.

remove them by using ipcrm.

Also
check your semmns parameter
It might be the no. of processes defined in the init.ora file of the instance is exceeding semmns.

Thanks
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Brian is right.
It must be that the shared memory segments are not properly cleaned up and there are also some defunct processes running on the machine.

YOu have you check your memory segments using ipcs to see the shared memory,semaphores owned by oracle.

remove them by using ipcrm.

Also
check your semmns parameter
It might be the no. of processes defined in the init.ora file of the instance is exceeding semmns.
Try reducing the value for the processes parameter.

Thanks
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Brian and T.G. -
Thanks for the input. We are still digging as is HP and Oracle Support.
We did check with ipcs; it was clean.
The init.ora and semmns were verified by both Oracle and HP to be correct for our instance and environment.

If and when this is solved, I will post HP's/Oracles findings. Cirrently the case has been escalated to the highest HP level; not sure about Oracle.

Again, my apologies for not posting points until we can tie all responses together to give the forum the best audit trail for this problem.

Regards,
dl
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Just an update to those that have posted -

HP and Oracle agreed on changes to shmmax and maxssiz_64bit. (Even though they were in place and working for a year as defined with no significant Oracle or HP-UX changes.)
These were put into place last night (10/03) and we will continue to monitor.
No one has a clear definition of the cause so we are doing the "one step at a time".
Will keep this thread updated as events occur.

dl
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Sorry folks, still no solid resolution or explanation of why it occurred from either Oracle or HP.
Should this be resolved I will post results.
In the meantime, we are expecting a reoccurrence.
Thanks for all the valid answers of things to check.
dl