108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle 10g/hpux and db2/aix

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

oracle 10g/hpux and db2/aix

Is oracle 10g/hpux more robust and stable than equilavent DB2/aix ?

regards,
shiv
8 REPLIES 8
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

quite a difficult question to answer.

Depending on the context/environment, each may be equally good.

You are here comparing two database products with different features each.

In an environment with 10k users one might be more stable than the other while in another environment with only 10 users this might be the reverse.

I will try to find some specific benchmarks for you.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor

hi shiv,

this link will provide u with the comparison:

http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,39024759,60091540p-39000552q,00.htm

though i am not too sure how independent (or bias) they are.

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shiv,

Oracle 10g Real Application Clusters (RAC) is an option to the award-winning Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition. Oracle RAC is a cluster database with a shared cache architecture that overcomes the limitations of traditional shared-nothing and shared-disk approaches to provide highly scalable and available database solutions for all your business applications says oracle OTN.

Refer to this site for a comparison between Oracle 10g RAC and DB2.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/twp_rac_10g_vs_db2_v8.2%5B1%5D.pdf
DB2's shared nothing architecture performs better than Oracle's shared disk architecture. Both DB2 and Oracle have recently published 1TB TPC-H results on a cluster of 4 machines with 4 CPU's each (16 CPU's total). DB2's result on 4 IBM eServer pSeries 655 servers delivered more than double the performance of the Oracle cluster.
It is very difficult to make a performance comparison between Oracle 10g Database and DB2 Universal Database. The performanceof your databases depend rather upon the experience of the database developers and database administrator than from the database'sprovider.
You can use both of these RDBMS to build stable and efficient systems. It is not true that Oracle Database is better than DB2 Universal Database or vice versa. Both products can be used to build stable and efficient systems and the stability and effectiveness of your applications and databases depend rather upon the experience of the database developers and database administrator than the database's provider.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

I will answer your question with another one:

Why is Oracle the database market leader?

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes

Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

This type of question can invoke responses depending on brand loyalty.

Are you more fond of HPUX vs AIX?

Are you more fond of Oracle vs DB2?
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Now now, Eric. We can't go relying on market share or we'll all be claiming Windows is the greatest OS in the world. :)

Seriously... I've only worked with Oracle RDBMS on HP-UX. I haven't heard any really terrible technical things against AIX or DB2. Which is best for any particular situation/application can really only be answered by benchmarking. And if an application, for whatever reason, is only tested/developed/certified by the vendor on X platform, my tendency would be to use what the vendor is using to maximize their ability to provide support. Generally speaking, I think Oracle provides more features (i.e. more robust), but DB2 has been adding more features to catchup. (No idea what the current feature comparisons are though.)

Stablility of a software package can be rather subjective. If you're trying to use the latest features of a new release, you might find instabilities from bugs that someone who is only using the older, proven features would never encounter. All software has bugs and those bugs can cause major problems. The more complicated the software and the less mature it is, the less stable you can expect it to be.
--
Jeff Traigle
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Shiv,

Oracle and HP are setting new standards on TPC ratings, you can find more information at,

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/2005_aug/080505_10gr2_1tbtpc-h_hpsuperdome_finalsite.html

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/benchmarks/121503.html (This link is bit old, Dec'03)

http://www.tpc.org

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

Comparing Windows with Mac OS is not very different than comparing Oracle with DB2.

Both Windows and Oracle are winners in there market segments and that's not because of some lucky comercial campaign...

I don't have technical knowledge of DB2 but there must be something that makes the difference...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.