4694 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle 8.1.7 installation

nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

oracle 8.1.7 installation

Hello,
I am installing oracle8.1.7 to a B 1000 class work station. I have tried different ways of installing but all the thime I get "Execute permission denied" I have checked the permissions and it seems to be alright. I am NOT installing from a CD I have tar.gz file so I guess I need to run the mkdb.sql from svrmgrl but even after I extract the file I get the same "Execute permission denied" for the svrmgrl file I have no idea what to do.
I have cried pulled my hair thinking what to do bout this :)
Any one any suggestions
16 REPLIES 16
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Probably a stupid question, but did you create the user "oracle" and the group "dba" prior to starting the installation ? When you untar the files, do you see them as being owned by oracle:dba ? If not you might have to change the userid/groupid to the numbers displayed instead.

Hope this helps,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

This is not the typical way to install Oracle and is fraught with peril. If a assume that ownership and groups are correct, I'll bet that you need to do two things. 1) Relink the executables 2) Run root.sh as root.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Attached are instructions for installing a version of Oracle that you downloaded from Oracles web site. These particular instructions are from version 8.1.6 for Itanium, but I think they should be the same for what you want to do.
nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
Patrick I have followed the instructions that you sent me step by step. And i still get the same message "Execute permission denied"
I have changed the owner to oracle:dba: and all files in oracle/bin have rwxrwxrx and I have also creates links and made oracle:dba the owner even then I get the same message "Execute permission denied" What do i do ??????
nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

Attached you will find a view of the /oracle/bin the permissions the files and the links that I was using you will also get to see the message that i get.
I will greatly appreciate a quick response.
Gatis Visnevskis
Occasional Advisor

I think, there is something wrong with binaries.

I guess, you have Oracle Enterprise Edition 64-bit??
Verify that your architecture is supported (workstation).

Other things are patch-level, i remember "linker patch", that is REQUIRED for 8.1.7 64-bit....
----------------------------
chatr lsnrctl:
64-bit ELF executable
shared library dynamic path search:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH enabled first
SHLIB_PATH enabled second
embedded path enabled third /app/oracle/OraHome1/lib64:/app/
oracle/OraHome1/network/lib64:/app/oracle/OraHome1/lib64:/app/oracle/OraHome1/ne
twork/lib64:/usr/lib/pa20_64:/opt/langtools/lib/pa20_64:
shared library list:
libwtc8.sl
librt.2
libpthread.1
libnss_dns.1
libdl.1
libm.2
libc.2
shared library binding:
deferred
NT is faster from 0 to 60, but you need UNIX to get to 100
Gatis Visnevskis
Occasional Advisor

Addition:

PHSS_24303
ld(1) and linker tools cumulative patch

more information can be found on ORACLECD/docs/relnotes.htm

NT is faster from 0 to 60, but you need UNIX to get to 100
nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

Yes I am running a 64 bit B1000 class HpUx11.00 workstation. I am not sure, one of you experts should be telling me if there is support or not. I have seen that someone else had the same problem and it was a linker problem. I have downloaded the general release patch bundle does it contain the
PHSS_24303
ld(1) and linker tools cumulative patch????
if not where can I download the linker tools cummlative patch.
Once again I am not using the Oracle CD I am using the .tar.gz file that I downloaded from the oracle site.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

You'll nedd to install the HP-UX linker tools cumulative patch PHSS_22514 or later, and the relink oracle:
cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
relink all

The patch can be found here on this very site:
http://europe-support2.external.hp.com/wpsl/bin/doc.pl/sid=02c27b7402e6b4626b

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!