Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oracle 8.1.7 installation

nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

oracle 8.1.7 installation

Hello,
I am installing oracle8.1.7 to a B 1000 class work station. I have tried different ways of installing but all the thime I get "Execute permission denied" I have checked the permissions and it seems to be alright. I am NOT installing from a CD I have tar.gz file so I guess I need to run the mkdb.sql from svrmgrl but even after I extract the file I get the same "Execute permission denied" for the svrmgrl file I have no idea what to do.
I have cried pulled my hair thinking what to do bout this :)
Any one any suggestions
16 REPLIES
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Re: oracle 8.1.7 installation

Hi,
Probably a stupid question, but did you create the user "oracle" and the group "dba" prior to starting the installation ? When you untar the files, do you see them as being owned by oracle:dba ? If not you might have to change the userid/groupid to the numbers displayed instead.

Hope this helps,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

This is not the typical way to install Oracle and is fraught with peril. If a assume that ownership and groups are correct, I'll bet that you need to do two things. 1) Relink the executables 2) Run root.sh as root.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Attached are instructions for installing a version of Oracle that you downloaded from Oracles web site. These particular instructions are from version 8.1.6 for Itanium, but I think they should be the same for what you want to do.
nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
Patrick I have followed the instructions that you sent me step by step. And i still get the same message "Execute permission denied"
I have changed the owner to oracle:dba: and all files in oracle/bin have rwxrwxrx and I have also creates links and made oracle:dba the owner even then I get the same message "Execute permission denied" What do i do ??????
nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

Attached you will find a view of the /oracle/bin the permissions the files and the links that I was using you will also get to see the message that i get.
I will greatly appreciate a quick response.
Gatis Visnevskis
Occasional Advisor

I think, there is something wrong with binaries.

I guess, you have Oracle Enterprise Edition 64-bit??
Verify that your architecture is supported (workstation).

Other things are patch-level, i remember "linker patch", that is REQUIRED for 8.1.7 64-bit....
----------------------------
chatr lsnrctl:
64-bit ELF executable
shared library dynamic path search:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH enabled first
SHLIB_PATH enabled second
embedded path enabled third /app/oracle/OraHome1/lib64:/app/
oracle/OraHome1/network/lib64:/app/oracle/OraHome1/lib64:/app/oracle/OraHome1/ne
twork/lib64:/usr/lib/pa20_64:/opt/langtools/lib/pa20_64:
shared library list:
libwtc8.sl
librt.2
libpthread.1
libnss_dns.1
libdl.1
libm.2
libc.2
shared library binding:
deferred
NT is faster from 0 to 60, but you need UNIX to get to 100
Gatis Visnevskis
Occasional Advisor

Addition:

PHSS_24303
ld(1) and linker tools cumulative patch

more information can be found on ORACLECD/docs/relnotes.htm

NT is faster from 0 to 60, but you need UNIX to get to 100
nmanoharan
Occasional Advisor

Yes I am running a 64 bit B1000 class HpUx11.00 workstation. I am not sure, one of you experts should be telling me if there is support or not. I have seen that someone else had the same problem and it was a linker problem. I have downloaded the general release patch bundle does it contain the
PHSS_24303
ld(1) and linker tools cumulative patch????
if not where can I download the linker tools cummlative patch.
Once again I am not using the Oracle CD I am using the .tar.gz file that I downloaded from the oracle site.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

You'll nedd to install the HP-UX linker tools cumulative patch PHSS_22514 or later, and the relink oracle:
cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
relink all

The patch can be found here on this very site:
http://europe-support2.external.hp.com/wpsl/bin/doc.pl/sid=02c27b7402e6b4626b

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Ruediger Noack
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I don't no the cause from your problem, but I have got a little idea.
Did you extract your tar.gz file as root? May be, there are a few s-bits in the install files.
I would try it in this kind.

Ruediger
nitin_7
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
I have downloaded and installed the linker patch PHSS_24303 but could not issue the command "relink all" (if that is what you meant Andreas) coz it gives mo "not found". But after I installed the patch PHSS_24303 it still gives me the same problem "Execution permission denied"
What do i do next?????
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

There are some parts of an oracle installation that require root access. Some script I don't remember the name, I have have add to give my dba's root before for this install.

GL,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
nitin_7
Occasional Advisor

No I did not extract as root I extracted as user oracle who is member of group dba.
So what do I do next, any suggestions.
nitin_7
Occasional Advisor

I extracted the .tar.gz files using user "oracle:dba" but I have tried executing the svrmgrl using "root" whos is also part of dba but no luck I get the same exception both ways I ahve created a link in the /usr/bin/svrmgrl owner "oracle:dba" even then it gives me the same error.
Hummmmm
nitin_7
Occasional Advisor

After I install I am able to run $ORACLE_HOME/mkdb/mkdb.sh and $ORACLE_HOME/mkdb/lsnrconf.sh perfectly without any problems but then when I go to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and try to run svrmgrl bang "Execution permission denied".
nitin_7
Occasional Advisor

Just to verify "nitin" and "nmanoharan" are the same users I have just changed my profile.