108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

oracle database instances not starting

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

oracle database instances not starting

Hi all:

Working on L2000 with HP-UX 11.00 and Oracle 8.1.6

Have setup the rc start/shut scripts to start/stop the oracle instances on boot/halt. All looks good except the SIDs are not starting. Looking in the rc.log says they are starting but when it is checked, the SIDs are not running. A sample from the rc.log:

Start Oracle Database(s)
Output from "/sbin/rc3.d/S750oracle start":
----------------------------

Database "mimstst" warm started.

Database "nsmt" warm started.

Database "nsmp" warm started.

There are no errors in the rc.log related to the oracle start. The listener is starting and doing the check shows it is started. Not sure what is going on because the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart and dbshut are being called and these are standard with the oracle install. Where to go from here?

Many thanks!
20 REPLIES 20
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Re: oracle database instances not starting

Rick,

I'd start by trying to run your oracle start script (/sbin/init.d/oracle or whatever) from the command line as root to see if you pick up any complaints. If that doesn't help, you'll have to try putting some extra "echo" statments in the dbstart script to see what is happening.

My guess is that the ORACLE_HOME and the PATH aren't getting set correctly and that it can't find 'svrmgrl'. Just a SWAG.

Is this a new implementation or were these scripts working and then just quit?

JP
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

A new implementation. Did the /sbin/init.d/oracle start and the response back I get is the same as the rc.log file, the SIDs are warm started. But check the processes and they are not there.

Will put the echos in the script and double check the PATH and all.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Checked the PATH and added the echos. No problems. $ORACLE_HOME is correct and doing the whence svrmgrl and whence sqlplus shows the commands are found.

The echos are showing the correct output.

A stumper no doubt.
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

hmmm. Not sure.

What gets me is the warm started. Your rc.log should contain all of the startup info.

Are you doing a
su - oracle -c "lsnrctl start;dbstart"
in your rc?

You should see the su in you rc.log?

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Rick,

I'm looking at a copy of the dbstart script for 8.1.6 here. It checks for the return code ($?) from sqlplus for version 8.1.6 when it does the startup. You only get the "warm started" message if you get a return status of zero, so it must be happy with what happens in 'sqlplus'. Either something strange is going on with sqlplus, or maybe the database is dying right after it starts?

JP
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Yes, the "warm started" is strange since I should see that it has done the connect, database mounted, etc...

Do not see the "su" messages but I am inclined to believe that I wouldn't. I have added the set -x to the /sbin/init.d/oracle script as well and the output looks good.

Could it be the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart script by chance?
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Part of what I see in the dbstart script is it is choosing between sqlplus or svrmgrl, checking the version, and depending on the version it does the start. However, what I also see is that the dbstart:version check doesn't look right. Anyone else think so as well?
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

I do not think that is it. However, I do not have 8.1.6. I do have 8.1.5 and 8.1.7 databases, and I have never had any problems with dbshut or dbstart.

Have you tried starting all instances from svrmgrl?

Don't know....very strange.

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Rick,

You won't see the 'su' command in their dbstart script as they do everything as root. To test that you could export your ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, PATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH just like they do in the script, and then try to run the sqlplus commmands manually. That might give some interesting clues.

JP