New Discussion юеВ

oracle deinstall && install latest version

SOLVED
Go to solution
petre
Occasional Contributor

oracle deinstall && install latest version

hello

this is y first time I lay my hands on a hp-ux machine, not to tell about oracle db :) I presume (hopefully) my 4 years experience in linux and 2 in freebsd will help me

I have no idea where oracle keeps its files, nor how do I uninstall them; also the machine I must fix was made by another person who knows *nix even less than me

so, following the quick installation guide I managed to download & install the necessary patches, but I have the following (urgent) problems:

1 - uninstall the current oracle db (don't know where it is installed, nor which version, nor how)

2 - install oracle 10g from a directory where the only files are

fr_904_hp64_disk1.cpio.gz and fr_904_hp64_disk2.cpio.gz

please point me to the right RTFM's, or some hints would be gladly welcome

thanks,

petre
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: oracle deinstall && install latest version

Typically oracle is installed in /oracle (or some similarly named directory /ora*). Occasionaly someone will install it under the login dir for the oracle user (grep ora /etc/passwd). Barring all else, find is your friend:

find / -name "ora*" -print |xargs -i ls -l {}|pg

As for your second question, going by the file names, those don't appear to be oracle 10g files. You can, obviously, go through the exercize of ungzipping and extracting the files from the cpio archives (cpio -i [filename], man cpio for all the gorey details).

Head over to Oracle's metalink support site:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_gui.startup

You'll need to register to get it. There's tons of documentation there.

Good luck,
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Petre,

Firstly, I'd like to say welcome to the forum.
Then,
1) check existing software.
If a database is up and you can connect to it (SQLPLUS) tun the SQL command :
select * from v$version;
this will give you the version and patch level of the installed product (for this DB)

Check for a file /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc
It will give you the location for the inventory file. If not there, this probably means it's not installed or was cloned from another server or was removed.

Then you don't have to remove the old version (as yet), you can (and I would do this way) installed the new version in a new ORACLE_HOME
e.g.
ORACLE_BASE=/oracle
ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/product/8.1.7 (existing)
ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/product/10.x.x (new)
These 3 would be 3 different file systems.

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Petre,

by the way these 2 files fr*disk1 and 2 looks like a download for Oracle9i (not 10G)

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux