5290 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

oracle installation

BAUKnight
Frequent Advisor

oracle installation

dear all,
i am trying to install oracle 9i over hp ux 11.11, i used the pfs_mount to mount the CDROM, when i run the installer i get the following error

NFS server (localhost) not responding. Still trying

this message reappears line by another, and it takes about 30 seconds between each line appearance, anyone can help pls.
6 REPLIES 6
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Re: oracle installation

Hi Amhed,

Check if you have these patches installed (these could be superseeded)

PHCO_25841 11.11 Add Rock Ridge extension to mount_cdfs(1M)
PHKL_26269 Rock Ridge extension for ISO-9660
PHKL_28025 Rock Ridge extension for ISO-9660

use below command to mount your oracle cdrom.

# mount -F cdfs -o rr /dev/dsk/device file

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Ahmed,
as a sideline, can you grep your /etc/hosts file for something like
127.0.0.1 localhost loopback
BAUKnight
Frequent Advisor

i grepped the file /etc/hosts for the loop pack
here is the output

# grep 127.0.0.1 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost loopback
#
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Ahmed, Even if you get the danged thing to mount. Don't run the install from the CD's. Instead follow the guidelines on how to copy the cds to disk, and run the install from there. Why? Well there's patches for the installer (from Oracle), and to patch the install, you'll have to have the installation software on disk anyways. Also, you may be running and re-running the install until you have it like you want, and re-running from disk (even when it runs correctly unpatched) is a royal pain with all of the disk switching. So, I recommend you make some space somewhere on your server and run your install from there.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

Are the daemons running for PFS? PFS is implemented as a network-based protoocol like NFS, and the daemons must be running even if using a local device. If they aren't running, you can get the NFS errors.

Before trying a PFS mount, you first need to set up the /etc/pfs_fstab file something like this; use the appropriate device name for your CD drive:

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0 /CDROM pfs-rrip xlat=unix 0 0

then start the PFS daemons in the following order; if not started in the proper order, the pfs_mount can fail with NFS errors.

pfs_mountd &
pfsd &

If you think you might exit the terminal session, use 'nohup' to avoid inadvertently killing the daemons with a SIGHUP. Finally, mount the CD

pfs_mount /CDROM

Once done reading the CD-ROM, then unmount the file system

pfs_umount /CDROM

Once you're done mounting and unmounting all of the PFS-based disks, kill the PFS daemons in reverse order

kill %2
kill %1

Important note, do not kill the PFS processes while a CD is mounted, and never use kill -9. If they are not allowed to cleanly shut down, they can hork the kernel file system table, and you'll have to reboot to clean it out. And you won't be able to PFS mount another disk until you do.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing
BAUKnight
Frequent Advisor

there was a problem with the FS size and type,