New Discussion юеВ

oracle sqlplus client on hpux 11.00

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

oracle sqlplus client on hpux 11.00

Dear Sirs/Madam,

I want to install oracle sqlplus client to connect to oracle 9i database. I want to install this client on hpux 11.00 system.

Can someone let me know which is the right sqlplus client for this purpose ? Appreciate if someone can advise how to intall it also ?

Thanks,
Shiv
12 REPLIES 12
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Re: oracle sqlplus client on hpux 11.00

You must install Oracle Client libraries on the host to connect to oracle. The later versions support the early ones. So if you have Oracle8, oracle client for 9 and 10 will be ok too.

Here is the latest client:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/instantclient.html

I think free registration needed.

Alex.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Shiv,

Install the client from the Oracle Database cds for HP-UX. Launch the Universal installer from the installation CD and select custom installation.Then you can select the products you want to install.

You wanted to connect to an oracle 9i database. You can access the database using sqlplus on the same server if you have a login to that server and have a username and password of a database user.

Otherwise you can connect to this database from your PC as well. Install the Oracle 8i / 9i client for Windows release on your PC where you select the client install and select custom and select the products you want. Otherwise you can select the Typical and it will install the minimum requirement for you. Then you have to configure tnsnames.ora file on your PC with the hostname and the database name (SID name) to which you wanted to connect to. This tnsnames.ora file will be located in c:\oracle\network\admin\tnsnames.ora (where c:\oracle will be your ORACLE_HOME you selected when prompted for while installation). The client installation will configure the this for you while (Net8 configuration).

From you PC you can activate sqlplus and logon with username, password and connect-string (this will be the name that you used in tnsnames.ora file.

From HP-UX server you can do the same configure the tnsnames.ora file in $TNS_ADMIN directory and logon as sqlplus username/password@sid_name

IA

Never give up, Keep Trying
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi shiv,

as mentioned above, you should get the SQLPLUS client on the HP-UX Oracle cd/DVD provided.

By running "runInstaller", you can easily add this component.

if you don't have the CD/dvd, you can also download the software from OTN.

In fact, now you can download the new Instant Client allows you to run your applications without installing the standard Oracle client or having an ORACLE_HOME. OCI, OCCI, Pro*C, ODBC, and JDBC applications work without modification, while using significantly less disk space than before.

see: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/instantclient.html

hope this helps too!

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

The Instant Client Package - SQL*Plus: Additional libraries and executable for running SQL*Plus with Instant Client is only 400k and can be downloaded at:
http://download.oracle.com/otn/hp/instantclient/instantclient-sqlplus-hpux-pa-risc64-10.1.0.4-20050620.zip

Please go through the readme file before installation.

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

I just installed the oracle instant client software.

I am seeing the below files in the directory:-
# pwd
/home/sksonkar/oracleclient
# ll
total 4652
-rw------- 1 root sys 1525 Sep 26 15:12 glogin.sql
-rw------- 1 root sys 916968 Sep 26 15:12 libsqlplus.sl
-rw------- 1 root sys 1435656 Sep 26 15:12 libsqlplusic.sl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 25168 Sep 26 15:12 sqlplus
#

Now how to configure tnsnames.ora to connect to the oracle database server ?

Thanks,
Shiv
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

I didn't see the oracle instant client for HPUX 11.00 ?

All were for lower version of HPUX such as 10.x.

Please suggest which version version of oracle instant client should i download ?

Thanks,
Shiv

Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Shiv,

Try with Instant Client for HP-UX PA-RISC (64-bit). http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/htdocs/client_lic.html?http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/hp64soft.html

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi shiva,

can you try the Instant Client Package
which offers the Basic, i.e. All files required to run OCI, OCCI, and JDBC-OCI applications

available from: http://download.oracle.com/otn/hp/instantclient/instantclient-basic-hpux-pa-risc64-10.2.0.1-20050828.zip

hope this helps!
regards
yogeeraj
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Sirs,

I had installed the oracle instant client software.

I am seeing the below files in the directory:-

# pwd
/home/sksonkar/oracleclient
# ll
total 4652
-rw------- 1 root sys 1525 Sep 26 15:12 glogin.sql
-rw------- 1 root sys 916968 Sep 26 15:12 libsqlplus.sl
-rw------- 1 root sys 1435656 Sep 26 15:12 libsqlplusic.sl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 25168 Sep 26 15:12 sqlplus
#

Now how to configure "tnsnames.ora" to connect to the oracle database server ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Shiv