1748169 Members
4141 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle9i installation on 32 bit HP - UX

Jayesh Dave_1
Occasional Advisor

oracle9i installation on 32 bit HP - UX

Has any one installed oracle9i 64 bit on 32 bit HP-UX 11. I have read from some place that it's possible to do it. We have 32 bit application and trying to stick with it and don't want to go for 64 bit as of now. I am preparing documents for installation but according to oracle , oracle9i 64 bit is only for 64 bit HP - UX. What do you see when you do getconf KERNEL_BITS on HP-UX 11.0 before you install 64 bit oracle9i? HELP !!!!!!!!! Thanks

When I have trouble spelling, it's called fat finger syndrome
Has anyone installed oracle9i on 32 bit HP? When you run getconf KERNEL_BITS on HP - UX what do you see before you installed oracle? - Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

First, you cannot run a 64-bit binary on a 32-bit kernel.

# getconf KERNEL_BITS

...shows what kernel "bitness" you are running.

# getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS

...returns what you "bitness" you *can* run

If your kernel is a 32-bit one you can upgrade to a 64-bit or you can cold-install. I'd advise doing a cold install.

Regards!

...JRF...
Helen French
Honored Contributor

It's not supported or advisable to load Oracle 9i 64bit on a 32bit HP-UX OS! Since I have not tried that so far, I am not sure whether it works or not, but you will defenitely face issues and problems in the near future if you do so.

getconf KERNEL_BITS command will return the current kernel bit (32 or 64 bit kernel) of your system. I would suggest you to install 64 bit OS (if it's supported on your server) and then install 64 bit applications.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Jayesh Dave_1
Occasional Advisor

Thansk for your very very quick answer. very fast !!!

This is what I see
getconf KERNEL_BITS
getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS
32/64

My goal is to install oracle9i and run our 32 bit application. Our application use pro*c to compile program. We have tuxedo as middleware.

To achive my goal - Should I install oracle9i (which comes only in 64 bit) now? or have my Unix admin to change kernel for 32 bit and try to install oracle9i? what's cold installation?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Has anyone installed oracle9i on 32 bit HP? When you run getconf KERNEL_BITS on HP - UX what do you see before you installed oracle? - Thanks
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If you see 64 when you do a 'getconf KERNEL_BITS' the you have 64-bit HP-UX installed. If you had 32-bit HP-UX installed you would see a 32 when you do the 'getconf KERNEL_BITS'.

So you CAN install 64-bit Oracle 9i.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

From the getconf output, it's clear that you are running 64 bit OS! You will be able to install Oracle 9i (64bit) on this system since you have a 64 bit kernel.

How did you determine before that you are running 32 bit OS? What type of server do you have? Does all your applications works well now?
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Jayesh Dave_1
Occasional Advisor

output of KERNEL_BITS was 32 bit before but after some investigation I found that I could not install oracle9i on 32 bit mode but I read few document on web that it's possible. Based on 64 bit kernel and 64 bit oracle how would I able to compile program with 32 bit? Our program use pro*c. We have tuxedo as middleware.

Thanks you very much for all your infput and very fast !!!! I never used this HP forum before and seems very helpful !!! Thanks again.
Jayesh Dave_1
Occasional Advisor

Bottom line -- > am I able to compile my PRO*C program and create 32 bit application if I install oracle9i 64 bit on 64 bit HP-UX 11 kernel?

If answer is yes then how?

Thanks

ANY EXPERT ??
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

You will have to point to the 32 bit libraries under $ORACLE_HOME/lib32 rather than $ORACLE_HOME/lib in the 7/8/8i versions. This should let you run your programs normally. The 32 bit libraries were kept around for backwards compatibility.

Thanks,

Brian
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

64bit programs simply will not run in a 32bit kernel. Mixing 32 and 64 bit programs is fine but ONLY when the programmers have made a special provision to use compatible data types. This is NOT generally the case with middleware that interfaces Oracle unfortunately. The middleware expects certain data in specific locations in shared memory (SGA in Oracle terms) and a 64bit executable in Oracle has none of the 32bit addressing limitations found in a 32bit executable.

So the issue has nothing to do with HP-UX. You MUST get 64bit versions of all the applications that share memory. Otherwise, you must downgrade Oracle to a 32bit version and fight with the adress limitations found in such programs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin