Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

out of memory problems when installing/relinking oracle

"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
8 REPLIES 8
monasingh_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: out of memory problems when installing/relinking oracle

I think If your SGA size is still not enough as compared to init.ora parameters then you will still get out of memory error. You may need to re checkyour init.ora parameters. and increase the shmmax more.

Also check your swap utilization and also enable swap_mem_on kernel parameters.

And Let see what happens after this...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

First, fix the 'timeslice'. Set it to 10. The value of 1 will cause you to context-switch at the expense of doing any real work. The DB template is dead wrong for this value.

Next, make sure that you have enough swapspace cofigured. Do a 'swapinfo -tam' to verify.

Then, increase your 'maxdsiz_64bit'. Double it for a start. Either this, or a lack of swapspace, is the probable cause of your out-of-memory.

Regards!

...JRF...
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Henrique,

As you've discovered, the Oracle install utility is a notorious resource hog. I normally increase swap to 2 times the system's RAM expressly to facilitate the Oracle install.
After the install completes succesfully I pull it back down to the value I normally use.
Hey, it could be worse. I hear that SAP installs require swap at 3 times RAM to run successfully....

So follow JRF's advice & also bump swap to at least 2 times RAM & try again.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

there are no DBs on this box, and swapmem_on is turned on ( 1 ).

I changed the kernel parameters that James refered to, and I am trying to relink oracle now !!!

result is :

:-(((

same error !!!

$ relink oracle
if [ -d /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64 ] ; then /usr/ccs/bin/make -f /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk ioracle64 ; else /usr/ccs/bin/make -f /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib/oracle; fi
/usr/ccs/bin/make -f /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk LIBHOME=/u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/ RDBMSLIB=/u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/r
dbms/lib64/ LDFLAGS="+DA2.0W +DS2.0 -Wl,-PF, linkorderfile -Wl,+Ostaticprediction -Wl,+s -Wl,+n -o ioracle64 -L/u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64 -L/u00/app/o
racle/product/8.1.7/lib64" /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib/oracle

- Linking Oracle
rm -f /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib/oracle
cc +DA2.0W +DS2.0 -Wl,-PF, linkorderfile -Wl,+Ostaticprediction -Wl,+s -Wl,+n -o ioracle64 -L/u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64 -L/u00/app/oracle/produ
ct/8.1.7/lib64 -o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib/oracle `if /usr/bin/getconf KERNEL_BITS | grep "64" > /dev/null ; then echo "-Wl,+pi 16M -Wl,+padtext 1M -Wl,+pd 64M -Wl,+paddata 1M" ; else echo "" ; fi` -Wl,-PF,linkorderfile -Wl,+Ostaticprediction /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/opimai.o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/s
soraed.o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/ttcsoi.o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/kpuasvr.o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/nautab.o /u00/app/o
racle/product/8.1.7/lib64/naeet.o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/naect.o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/naedhs.o /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/co
nfig.o -lserver8 -lskgxp8 -lclient8 -lvsn8 -lwtcserver8 -lcommon8 -lgeneric8 /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/defopt.o -lknlopt -lslax8 -lpls8 -lplp8 -l
server8 -lclient8 -lvsn8 -lwtcserver8 -lcommon8 -lgeneric8 -lknlopt -lslax8 -lpls8 -lplp8 `cat /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/nmliblist` -ldbicx8 -ldbic
x8 -ljox8 -lserver8 -lwwg8 -lobk `sed -e 's/-ljava//g' /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/ldflags` -lnsgr8 -lnzjs8 -ln8 -lnl8 -lnro8 `sed -e 's/-ljava//g' /u00/
app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/ldflags` -lnsgr8 -lnzjs8 -ln8 -lnl8 -lclient8 -lvsn8 -lwtcserver8 -lcommon8 -lgeneric8 -lmm -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls
8 `sed -e 's/-ljava//g' /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/ldflags` -lnsgr8 -lnzjs8 -ln8 -lnl8 -lnro8 `sed -e 's/-ljava//g' /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/l
dflags` -lnsgr8 -lnzjs8 -ln8 -lnl8 -lclient8 -lvsn8 -lwtcserver8 -lcommon8 -lgeneric8 -ltrace8 -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls8 -lclient8 -lvsn8 -lwtcs
erver8 -lcommon8 -lgeneric8 -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls8 -lserver8 `if ar tv /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/lib64/libknlopt.a | grep "kxmnsd.o" > /de
v/null 2>&1 ; then echo " " ; else echo "-lordsdo8"; fi` -lordts8 -lctxc8 -lctx8 -lzx8 -lgx8 -lctx8 -lzx8 -lgx8 -lordvirt8 -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls8 -lcore8 -lnls8 `c
at /u00/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib64/sysliblist` -lm -lcres
Out of Memory.
*** Error exit code 12

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

new kernel params follow !!

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Note that just because your OS is 64-bit that does not imply that all utilities (e.g. compilers, linkers, etc.) are 64-bit code. You should also increase the 32-bit values maxdsiz (it's now 64MB), maxssiz (now 8MB), and maxtsiz (now 64 MB). I would increase maxdsiz to 512MB, maxssiz to 64MB, and maxtsiz to 256MB. Also, your buffer cache is much too small (8MB). You need to increase bufpages to at least 32768 (128MB) and 76800 (300MB) is probably better. Don't use the formulae but instead plug a value into bufpages.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Look at your ulimit settings. See if your SA or you are not limiting the data segment sizes on per user basis.

ulimit -a (posix)

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Thanks guys.

Increasing the kernel parameters did it !!!

I was under the impression that the database server tuned set parameter would work from scratch here ( I AM SURE I USED IT IN THEPAST ), but I guess not !!!!

relink oracle worked this time. I am doing a relink all before I install the patchset 8.1.7.4.

Thanks again.

Henrique Silva
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

No no no, you have to tune HP-UX for oracle.

I would suggest making the shmmax(shared memory max) and all shared memory queues larger than you think you can ever use.

Oracle is a really big shared memory ane message queue user.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com