1752765 Members
5173 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: outlook asks for login

Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

outlook asks for login

just recently i noticed a problem with my outlook express. I havge set up my email to get all of my items from a different server, and it has been working for the past 3 years. what is happening now is when ever it checks for new mail I get the login box for my userID and password. I know the information is correct and whenever I hit OK, it attempts to login, but returns that login box. I have done nothing new to outlook express, and am wondering what needs to be done so I can get my e-mails. (i am tired of telneting to my server to check my mail through pine).
thanx
Matt Clarke
if you dont ask, you will never know :)
5 REPLIES 5
Scott Laws
Regular Advisor

thats what happens when the system administrator decides to expire your password

I would suggested changing your password for your login/e-mail and then dbl check your outlook account setting and make sure the "save password" box is checked.
what? no cheese?
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

Scott:
i telneted to my server and changed my password, logged off, and then tried logging on with my new password via telent, and everything was ok. but when i changed the pasword in outlook express i encountered the same problem, it again prompted me to enter my login information. I changed the password in the profile, and even when prompted i re-enter the password. Is there something i am not doing, or that i need to do?

Matt
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Matthew,

It's possible that your profile got corrupt somehow. Why don't you delete your account in Outlook Express and try setting it up again. You should not have to supply your POP3 username and password over and over again if it is configured in the Accounts screen in Outlook Express. Try removing the account and follow these steps to set it up again.

To configure Outlook Express to read Internet mail, follow these steps:

1. In Outlook Express, click Accounts on the Tools menu.

2. In the Internet Accounts dialog box, click Add, and then click Mail.

3. In the Display Name box, type the name you want others to see when you send a message, and then click Next.

4. In the E-mail Address box, type the e-mail address for the account you are
using (for example, "janedoe@account.com"), and then click Next.

5. Under E-mail Server Names, select the appropriate incoming mail server type
(POP3 is the default type), and then type the names of your incoming and outgoing mail servers. Click Next. NOTE: This information is provided by your Internet service provider (ISP). If you do not know this information, contact your ISP.

6. Depending on your login type, either type your POP account name and password in the POP Account Name and Password boxes, or click "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SAP)." Click Next. NOTE: Contact your ISP to determine which login type you should use.

7. In the Internet Mail Account Name box, type a name to identify the mail account you are configuring. This is known as the "friendly" name for the account. Click Next.

8. Click the connection type that you use to connect to the Internet, and then click Next. NOTE: This step does not apply to Outlook Express 5. If you click "Use my phone line to connect," you are prompted to either create a new Dial-Up Networking connection or use an existing one. If Dial-Up Networking has been configured for your ISP, click "Use an existing dial-up connection," click the name for your Dial-Up Networking connection in the list, and then click Next. If you click "Connect using my local area network (LAN)" or "I will establish my Internet connection manually," you are not prompted for any additional settings.

9. Click Finish.

Regards,
Jamie Hughes
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

Jamie:

I tried your advise, and had actually tried the same process on another machine at work and still encountered the same problems. I am not sure what to make of this. I did not uninstall my currect version of Outlook, but created a new user, and set up my mail account fropm there, and still I was prompted for that information. Thankyou, for trying, but still no luck :(

Matt Clarke
Dennis Ng
Regular Advisor

1. Remove your profile.
2. Do a scanpst on your pst file.
3. Re-add your profile.
4. Else, Uninstall Outlook Express. Reboot. Reinstall. (always backup registry user.dat and system.dat)

Not everything that can be counted counts; & not everything that counts can be counted.