1753437 Members
4669 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: packet .Z files under /opt/omni/databases/vendor

Neale Machin
Advisor

packet .Z files under /opt/omni/databases/vendor

We have an installation of omniback 3.5 on one of our K370s .Under the opt/omni/databases/vendor directories for the likes of sap oracle there are many packet.Z files. Is it possible to remove these files without causing any damage to the operation of omniback.
Just cos I look after Unix Boxes doesnt mean I wear sandals
4 REPLIES 4
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Hi,

be aware, these files are used when installing OB from cell to other systems. You could remove files which OB integration you are never using (ie: you haven't anywhere an informix application).

Regards
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Mark:

"*.Z" files are compressed files created by 'compress'. The are not usable in that state. If your installation has been sucessfully completed, I would back them up if you don't already have them on the installation source media, and then remove them as desired.

...JRF...
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

1) yes you can, providing you haven't any hosts using sap etc ...

2) they should have been de-compressed in the OB install : HP I beleive is addressing this issue.(also occurs on 3.5 media).

NB if all went horribly wrong you'd be able to re-install from original install media.
Neale Machin
Advisor

Thanks for the swift responses. I know .Z are zipped up or compressed whatever you like to call them , but I remember several years ago a very nasty little piece of database software that kept its data in .Z format ie old hardly ever used data and uncompressed it for access so if you deleted the .Zs it played havoc with the DB .I have a safe copy of these so I'll trash the ones we'll never use .

Once again thanks
Just cos I look after Unix Boxes doesnt mean I wear sandals