108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: pcanywhere like for redhat linux?

SOLVED
Go to solution
bong_3
Advisor

pcanywhere like for redhat linux?

is there any way that i can see what the user is doing or typing remotely? users running under console mode. meaning, i want to see the tty1 screen remotely?

appreciate any advise...
11 REPLIES 11
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Ok, on X it's easy with a vnc client but if you want console mode you have more of a problem. Much more of a problem.

You can, or course, just to "tail -f /dev/ttyX" which may just about be enough for you. Your alternative is to use the linux fram buffer for your screen and "fbvncserver" which I have never actually tried myself but you can find out all about it here.

http://community.zaurus.com/projects/fbvncserver/
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

you can have a 'hard copy' of the console screens (the screens you choose typing CTRL+ALT+Fn) so:

# cat /dev/vcsX (where X is 1..6)

you get a string of the succession of the characters on that screen, line after line. If format that string in a 80x25, you'll see exactly what the user sees.

hth
Claudio
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor
Solution

But if you want to see in a real-time fashion what the user is typing/seeing you can use dtach (usually available with redhat):

the user must run a command like this:

$ dtach -c /tmp/foozle -Ez bash

then he/she start working in that new shell.

You can see (and interact, too) his/her screen running this command in a remote terminal (xterm, rxvt, kconsole...):

$ dtach -a /tmp/foozle

dtach is really simple, there's a package named 'screen' more powerful to do the same things.

man pages helps:

$ man dtach
$ man screen

Ciao!
Claudio

bong_3
Advisor

hi Claudio... thnks for your suggestion but what i want to know is if there's a utility where in i can also type or run any commands from the tty1 console itself, not just see. A feeling like i'm just infront of that pc.
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Claudio Cilloni gave you the solution.See this example...
on pc1 after login issue this command:
dtach -c /tmp/foozle -Ez bash
then from pc2 ssh to pc1 and issue this command:
dtach -a /tmp/foozle
this way you'll have the desired (I hope) result.
Best regards.
Marcin Golembski_1
Honored Contributor

RedHat contains 'screen' program, you might already have it installed.

The simplest usage is:
User logs in in one session and runs 'screen' command.
You log in in a second session as the same user and in your session you run 'screen -x' command.
Now you both see the same 'picture' and can type in commands. Read screen's man page, the program has its limitations...

HTH,
Marcin
Marcin Golembski_1
Honored Contributor

I've had a look at dtach (I didn't have it on my workstation) and now I second Claudio's solution - dtach seems to overcome screen's limitations.
Claudio, thanks for a hint!
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

Personally I prefer screen, I has a lot more features. I love the possibility to keep more virtual screens/shells under the same screen session, create new shells with ctrl-A+C, switch through them with ctrl-A+space. Really e great tool!

Ciao!
Claudio
bong_3
Advisor

hi Claudio...
sorry I was unable to read your second suggestion. I just tried the dtach then it works the way i want it...
WOW... this forum rocks... i might be a linux expert too just by reading all your comments...
Thank you so much...