Operating System - Linux
1748137 Members
3540 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: pcmcia, ze4200 series, ati

Mauro Chiarugi

pcmcia, ze4200 series, ati

Hi, I've an Hp Pavillon ze4288. I've tried to install Debian woody but, when I boot from the installing cd, it prompts me the language and freeze..
So i've tried Knoppix.. it works fine.. but i've two problems:
- My Ati Radeon Mobility (64 mb shared) doesn't work.. (xfree and framebuffer work with vesa driver)
- I can't use my pcmcia cards.. I've a cisco aironet and to use it, i've to disable pcmcia support from kernel and compile pcmcia-cs, but when it boot, it freeze.. the error is "IRQ routing conflicts for 00:0a.0, have IRQ 5, want IRQ 11, 02 MICRO 0z6912 rev 00 PCI-toCardBus [cut]"
I've ACPI enabled too.

Tnx
7 REPLIES 7
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Nearly all the newer HP notebooks use the ATI Radeon IGP 320M or 340M graphics systems. HP likes to call them Radeon Mobility, but that's a misnomer. Their graphics architectures are quite different from previous ATI Radeon Mobility graphics systems, and they are poorly supported under Linux. You can force them to run with the XFree86 radeon driver, but that doesn't help much because they have to be configured without acceleration. The real problem is that ATI has not made the necessary information about their agpgart host bridge available to the Linux kernel developers. That means there aren't any kernels that can provide agpgart support for the graphics system. Until ATI gets their act together, there probably isn't much we can do.

Bruce
Mauro Chiarugi

I wrote to Hp and they reply that my video card is an ATI MOBILITY RADEON AGP 4X.. which of models is it?? 320 or 340 or another too??
Do you think this video card will never be supported???
What about pcmcia???

Tnx again
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

As I said, HP's description isn't very accurate or informative. If you still have Windows XP loaded on a partition, the system information will call it an ATI IGP 320M or 340M. Alternatively, if you run lspci -v from Linux as root, you will see the host bridge listed as something like

Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device cab2 (rev 02)

(The device number is usually cab0 for an IGP 320M). For the video, you'll see something like

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4337

(The device number is usually 4336 for an IGP 320M).

I imagine the video system will eventually be supported. If not, ATI (and HP) will be in a world of hurt. Linux usually lags a bit in support for new hardware. Remember, Linux developers don't get paid to develop for Linux, so they usually do the work in their spare time.

I haven't had occasion to use my pcmcia. That said, it sounds very weird that you should have to disable pcmcia support in your kernel. Where did you get the instruction to do that?

Bruce
Mauro Chiarugi

I've read that i've to disable pcmcia kernel support from the official release notes of Cisco aironet.. with my old notebook, a pentium 133, it works in that manner :)
In fact from kernel 2.4.* pcmcia cards work with or without kernel support..
I've seen, from http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ that the problem is O2 Micro Oz6912, but it should be fixed...
About video card: if I run lspci -v it tell me that:
"Host bridge: Ati Technologies In: Unknown device cab 0 (rev 13)
[cut]
"Vga compatible controller: ATI Tecn. Inc Radeon Mobility U1 (prog-if 00 [VGA])"
Maybe i'll reinstall windows to see which model is my video card :-(

mmm
tnx
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

You definitely have an ATI Radeon IGP 320M system. (U1 is a synonym for the 320M video chipset.) I don't recommend that you waste your time loading windows.

Your pcmci irq messages suggest to me that something isn't getting loaded in the correct order. The pcmcia-cs documentation at SourceForge indicates that pcmcia-cs is being phased out in favor of the kernel pcmcia support services. I suggest you contact Cisco and find out why they want you to use something that's not going to be supported much longer.

Bruce
Mauro Chiarugi

I wrote to pcmcia-cs list at sourceforge.net.. they wrote me that there is a bug in the bios, and the problem is the IRQ Routing conflict..
They say me also that they don't know how to fix it.

I wish that Hp and Phoenix patch their bios.. :-(
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor