1752577 Members
4328 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

power-on password box

sherry frascona
Occasional Contributor

power-on password box

Does anyone know how to get past this password box. It is on win 98. Is there a key i can use to go directly into the settings? I don't know the password and I can't go any further than this box when I start my computer
4 REPLIES 4
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: power-on password box

You have to open your computer...
Take the battery out (a small button battery, around 1 inch large), then look on your motherboard for a jumper (maybe the name of your computer model would help on that) called clear or cmos. It should be a 3 pin jumper. Set it to the free position (for example, if it's set on pins 1 and 2, put the jump on pin 2 and 3).
Restart your computer.
Turn it of and put back everything at its place.
No password anymore.

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Ty1
Respected Contributor

Hi Sherry,

Just to be aware, clearing/resetting the CMOS does not always clear a power on password. Who set the password? Could you not ask them?
If clearing the CMOS doesn't clear the CMOS, then the only option would be to replace the system board.

Regards

Ty
Although I am an HP Employee, all views expressed are my own and are not on behalf of HP

Regards
Ty
Sally_14
Frequent Advisor

Hi, After doing some research I think I may have found something... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152104

hope this helps or at least leads you in the right direction.

cheers
Sally
Gale Joy
Frequent Advisor

Sherry,
There is another option before motherboard replacement. I'm guessing that this is an HP since you are using an HP Forum. If that is the case especially if it's a notebook. Then you can contact HP support or take it to an authorized service center and have them contact tech support. HP has a department that does BIOS/Bootup password removal. The only problem is you have to get passed the outsourced off-shore tech support that tends to treat you like an idiot.
However, when you do finally get to removal team it doesn't take anytime to get it removed. Be advised that you will need to show proof of ownership of the unit such as a proof of purchase.
Gale Joy