Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powersave daemon - SLES9 on DL360 G3 - necessary?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

powersave daemon - SLES9 on DL360 G3 - necessary?

Hello,

I have SUSE Linux Enterprise 9 on an HP DL360 G3. Not long after the OS installation, I noticed that when I log into the server GUI, I get a message that appears briefly and says:
"The powersave daemon is not running or you are not a member of the powersave system group. Starting it will improve performance: /usr/sbin/rcpowersave start"

When I go to /user/sbin, I don't see a "rcpowersave" file - I do see "rcpowersaved" though (note the d at the end).

What I'm wondering is, what is HPs/the local guru's recommendation with regards to this on HP hardware?

Also, what are the drawbacks (if any) if I choose to implement this?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

Re: powersave daemon - SLES9 on DL360 G3 - necessary?

Interestingly, I still get this message on the KDE desktop (but not in the syslog file) when I log in.

Even after I changed the POWERSAVE_CPUFREQD_MODULE to "off", as recommended by the errors in /var/log/messages (I don't want CPU scaling on this server).

Hmm....
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

My thoughts are simple:

It's a server.

If it's an activly used server, then having power-saving measures on it (for anything other than a screen, which should be turned *off* anyway (the ultimate in power-saving techniques!)) are redundant. You want the thing to *ROCK*.. Not save a few cents off your power bill.
One long-haired git at your service...
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

I'd have to agree. But that message just gets annoying. :)

Regardless, I won't lose sleep over it.
Jun Yu
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Pls disable powersaved daemon from chkconfig list , DL360g3 server runs well without it.

I did a small hpc cluster with such operation on all 8 nodes.

Good Luck,
just for fun
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info...but could you tell me exactly how to disable that? (Sorry, I'm pretty new at Linux in general).
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Make sure the 'apmd' service isn't running.
One long-haired git at your service...
Jun Yu
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Eric,

To turn off the powersaved service forever, execute the following steps:

1. #chkconfig --list|grep power

the screen will show you
hostname:~ # chkconfig --list|grep power
powersaved 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:off 5:on 6:off
powertweakd 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off

It shows your powersaved will be started when the system startup to runlevel 3 and 5

2. #chkconfig powersaved off

this command will stop the powersaved daemon starting after next reboot.

3. re-run the first command to confirm you do turn off the powersaved service from the system service list.

4. #rcpowersaved stop to stop the powersaved service immediately.

Good Luck,
just for fun
Eric Meiring
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys. I now see that the service is off, even after I rebooted.

I still get that annoying message when I log on using the VNC GUI, however. Ah well - as long as the service isn't up, I'm ok with that.