1751888 Members
4867 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: printing to jetdirect from hpux 11.0

Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

printing to jetdirect from hpux 11.0

I have a new L2000 running HP-UX 11.0. I've downloaded and installed the JetDirect Printer Installer for UNIX Version E.10.18. When I send a test file of plain text to the printer, I get 5 blank lines between each line of text. The text is *not* staircased. The printer is an HP8100 on a novell net setup, but I am printing directly to the jetdirect, not the novell print server. The model script I'm using is net_ljx000

Has anyone seen this behaviour before, and how do I fix it?

--
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
7 REPLIES 7
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Don't use all that fancy stuff...I just simply use good ol' fashioned JetAdmin, set up the printer with that...make sure I have the printer referenced in my hosts file...check using ping and nslookup that the network can see the printer...and done !

Just a thought,
Rita
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

There's nothing "fancy" about this setup. The printer IP is in DNS, and is pingable and resolves via nslookup. I can send output to it, it just does not print correctly.

I'd be happy to use jetadmin, but it has been discontinued on HP-UX and the webadmin is not available for Win98. So this was my only setup option.

I'm thinking I need a filter or a new model script or something that will control the cr/lf translation. My prior experience with printers was on a DEC Alpha which uses an /etc/printcap file for all that, so I am out of my depth on HP. On the DEC, I'd be looking to play with the RAW/TEXT options, but don't know where to do that on HP, or if that is even the issue.

--
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Mark,

If you are looking for the control files, u can find it in the /etc/lp/interface directory.

Also see the log files in /var/spool/lp

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

You might try the following link: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hpjdprinte18922.html, it does look to have an answer to your problem, but there is a section that you can submit questions on the product to. (The solve a problem link.)
Spoon!!!!
D. Jackson_1
Honored Contributor

How did you set this printer up??
I am not too familiar with the new software but I add our printers with :
"hppi -c" , select option 1
Put in the ip addy for the printer and go from there. You may also try model scripts < net_genericprinter or net_genericpcl3printer>

I would also add this ip and name to the hosts file..

Good Luck...
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

After moving our production server from a k460 on 10.20 to an N running 11.0, I have had many printer problems. One kept sending the same job over and over to a printer. Many were line spacing etc. All have been due to the files created by jetadmin in /etc/lp/interface and /etc/lp/interface/model.orig. I was able to copy my old files from my 10.2 box and they work fine.
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

Hi
With Printer Installer software use the #addqueue command.
Use #addqueue -l to list supported printers.

Then use
#addqueue -h -q

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.