108758 Solutions
New Discussion

problem printing european character

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefano_10
Advisor

problem printing european character

When i send to a network printer (configured with jetdirect) a file with 'è','é' in the sheet appers 'à ','à '.
I have tried with different type of hp printers (hplj4, hp2100, hp4300, ...).
What can i do to see the right characters as output of the printer?
I print from hp-ux 11.11 system.
Thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Stefano_10
Advisor

Re: problem printing european character

I have write the right character but in the message the appears different:
the character that i have to see are the "e" with acute and grave sign, but i see "O" with acute and ~ signs.
Stefano
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There are so many ways of handling special characters that are application dependent, you'll need to know how to remap them. The HP printers have all of their special characters defined in their fonts and on a PC, the printer subsystem will accomodate character mapping. Such mapping is much less integrated in HP-UX. Xwindows uses fonts and keyboard produce characters on terminal windows all independently from the printers. If you can control the contents of the file, simply use the character that the LaserJet uses. The LaserJet Technical Reference manual should give you all the font information you need.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Reinhard Burger
Frequent Advisor

Stefano
I assume the language settings are correct and you are using 8 bit character sets.
A lot of the special characters are only printable correctly if 8 bit charactersets in use. we use currently iso_885915 in the different languages. example de_de.iso885915
and special characters are printed correctly.
As we have two systems running in france li'm sure that printing of the characters you want to print is possible and does work with the approbiate language settings. printer get postscript files delivered but it works as well with PCL
Maybe that will help
keep it simple
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Stefano,
I've seen casually this message bacause I use VMS not Unix but problem is same.
Usually we use ISO-LATIN1 to align codeset; so I program VT terminal with ISO-LATIN1 on 2.nd page (code from 128 to 225) and I send to printer selection of ISO-LATIN1 (this sequence is printer dependant).
You could choice other codeset too, but ISO-LATIN1 (known as 8859-1) have all uppercase and lower case with various accent plus some scandinavian symbol.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

Hi Stefano,
Be aware that it not only depends on the character set you are using on the server, but also what you are using on the printer.
There must be a match. Check the default character set you use on the printer.

It will also depend on whether you are printing from within an application on the server, or directly from the OS.

I normally do not allow conversion to take place in the spoolsystem/printdriver (unless no other option), but rather try to handle it in the program/application.

I'm trying to become President of the state I'm in...
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hello Stefano,
thanks for pts;
if you need esc seq to programming VT and printer post printer protocol: I can give you the programming sequence to set ISO-LATIN1.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti