1752509 Members
4552 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problem with KDE

Chris Reynolds_2

problem with KDE

I'm new to linux, and I'm trying to rebuild an old HP Netserver LH Pro. I installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on it , and everything looks good short of the GUI. When it boots, it gives me the console. When I try to start the KDE it says that it can't find any screens. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have you configured X. is there a file called XF86Config in /etc/X11 directory. This is your X config file.

On Redhat boxes, you can use Xconfigurator, xf86config or the redhat configurator tool for configuring this.

Not sure on Mandrake. Can you try running X --configure and see if it generates a config file.

Then try X -xf86config and see if it starts. then move this to the /etc/X11 directory and then use startx to start X. and in your .xinitrc u can use startkde to start kde.

pls revert if u need any help.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have a look at :

http://h200004.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11463/lpn11463.pdf

The documentation says :

* Integrated 1024x768, 16-color, noninterlaced
* 512KB standard video memory

This is a very poor graphics card, and using it with KDE would probably be a bad idea.

However if you want to try, use the standard "vga" driver and configure it for 16 colors (not 16 bits, but 4 bits !)

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Chris Reynolds_2

Alright, I installed an old graphics card that was better than the current one, and boom, I'm up and running (After the new Graphics card, I reinstalled the OS) Now I have a strange problem. My KDE looks scrambled, and there is a contstant bar-code to the left of my mouse. It looks like an old Nintendo game, when you needed to jiggle the game cartridge. I have tried to locate the driver for the specific video card, but I'm not exactly sure what model number the card is. Does this sound like a video card driver problem?