1751972 Members
4621 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

problems with sybase daemons on Integrity

joseph pareti
Frequent Advisor

problems with sybase daemons on Integrity

Apologies for the inaccurate report, I am in the process of gathering more accurate information. So the following comments/questions are a kind of "sanity check" before I ask them more specific information.

A customer informed that they a tested c program (compiled on a PA-RISC system ?) on an Itanium machine. They however got the following error message:

/ilos/runtime> ttlog
/usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libct64.sl'.
Killed
/ilos/runtime>

To solve the problem they copied shared libraries from the development machine (PA-RISC?) to /ilos/syblib on Itanium and included the directory in the SYBASE LIB path for a specific user. Apparently after doing this, they could successfully start the daemon on the Itanium system.

My questions to the forum:

1- does it make sense compiling and linking a daemon on PA-RISC and deploying on Itanium?
2- what compiler/compiler options may have been used to accomplish 1
3- why using PA-RISC shared libraries on an Itanium system
4- where can I find more information on interoperability PA-RISC/ITANIUM
5- where can I find more information related to Sybase for this kind of environment.

TIA
2 REPLIES 2

Re: problems with sybase daemons on Integrity

Joseph,

The binaries will have been running using the ARIES binary emulator which lets standard PA-RISC binaries run unchanged on Itanium. More here:

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/PAGE.template/page.document?ciid=0208713ba4f02110713ba4f02110275d6e10RCRD

I can't answer all your questions but let me try the following:

1- Only when i) The development utility isn't available on Itanium, -or- ii) the sourec code has been lost.

2- I expect no special compiler or compiler options were used - just a normal PA-RISC binary

3- When you are running a PA-RISC binary on Itanium, the shared libs have to be PA-RISC as well.

4- Try here:

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/template.PAGE/page.document/?ciid=bdbdf58743935110VgnVCM100000275d6e10RCRD

5- Sorry don't know.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: problems with sybase daemons on Integrity

>1- does it make sense compiling and linking a daemon on PA-RISC and deploying on Itanium?

No. If you need performance, you should recompile on Integrity. (Unless you are stuck as Duncan mentioned.)

>2- what compiler/compiler options may have been used to accomplish 1

Aries should work in just about all cases.

>3- why using PA-RISC shared libraries on an Integrity system

Because the application is composed of the executable AND shlibs. You must have ALL of the load modules.
Of course you need to make sure these shlibs are in a different place than the native IPF shlibs, which are usually in lib/hpux32/ or /lib/hpux64/.

>4- where can I find more information on interoperability PA-RISC/Integrity

A shorter link than Duncan's, one that won't change:
http://www.hp.com/go/aries