1748139 Members
4034 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: process binding

Rajesh Raghavendran
Occasional Contributor

process binding

How to bind ORacle processes to a particular CPU set.
HPUX 11i and Oracle 8.1.7.4
Where and what to set.
Oracle Rules !!!
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

As far as I know, you can't. A product like WLM or PRM may do that for you, I'm not sure.

Normally you don't want to lock a process to a single CPU. HP-UX will assign the process to a CPU and each time the process gets CPU time, it may be on a different processor.

I honestly don't see where you'd gain much by a locking a single process to a particular processor, but that's just me.
Rajesh Raghavendran
Occasional Contributor

With 16 CPU box, when my application can run fine with 4-6 CPU's , by limiting the CPU, i might save some $$$ on licensing.
Oracle Rules !!!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Since all 16 CPUs are already enabled I don't think you can (or rather shouldn't) try to license the product for only 4 or 6 CPUs. You've already got all the CPU's, you might as well use them and if you go ahead and pay the licensing now, you won't have to pay later when you need the additional horsepower.

If you had only part of the CPUs enabled, via ICOD (instant capacity on demand) it might be a different story.

Just my $0.02
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

I dont think you can bind a process to a specific CPU.

You can use Process Resource manager(PRM) to allocate percentage of CPU to Oracle application.
http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=B3835DA

Also you can disable the other processors when you are not using.
check the link to how to disable a processor
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x8424cb60e503d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html
V. V. Ravi Kumar_1
Respected Contributor

hi,
PRM will do what u want, u can share the CPUs to oracle prcesses and other processes as u want.

regds
Never Say No