1753649 Members
6092 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ps command not found after reboot

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Sorry, Sids, my old eyes must be playing tricks on me - I could have sworn it wasn't there, but I see it now.

Attaching /usr/bin/ps command.

Pete

Pete
Siddharth_6
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks to all, Pete the binary sent by you didn work for me. I finally installed HPUX in a new scuzzy and come up with the crazzy thing. but still m surprised where the binary has gone??

Sids
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

I think I have an idea if u have a Tape or a Floppy Drive, Looks logical but never tried.

1. Boot the node through the Install CD ==>>Open Recovery Shell ==>

loadfil /usr/bin/ps
loadfil /usr/sbin/insf
loadfil /usr/sbin/tar
loadfil /usr/sbin/ioscan
insf -e
ioscan -fnCtape
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn /usr/sbin/ps

Boot the system normally and restore this tape !

Regds,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

Sids, there are multiple problems with copying ps this way. But first finding out where ps has gone.

(Next time) take a look in /usr/lost+found for files there. If fsck has found problems on your filesystem and doesn't know where a file belongs, it is put there. So you should check lost+found directories after each reboot to make sure your filesystems are still intact when you miss files.

Next: could it be your reboot was due to a patch installation? Perhaps a patch on ps? In that case, removing that patch would solve the issue.

And that leads to a problem with putting a 'random' ps version on your system. There are patches for commands like ps, so if you want to be sure you install the right ps, you should first check what patches are installed and then copy the command from a environment on the same patch level.

Perhaps creating a recovery tape on regular basis can help too. If you loose something from your vg00, you can recover it from there, or reinstall your system exactly the way it was.

Good luck, and I hope this info is still of some use.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.