1751791 Members
4779 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: psoft8 IPC subsystem queue

Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

psoft8 IPC subsystem queue

We are experiencing performance problems on our D270, with 2 CPUs and 2Gb of memory, running one instance of psoft7 and three instances of psoft8.
The oracle version is 8.1.7.
In Perfview, the GLB_MEM_UTIL is 80%, GLB_SWAP_UTIL is 65% and the GLB_IPC_SUBSYSTEM_QUEUE is 20.
Is the GLB_IPC_QUEUE normal?
The Oracle query response is good.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Eileen
6 REPLIES 6
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Eileen,

You say that Oracle query response is good - what isn't good? And what OS are you running?

Pete

Pete
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Eileen,

from glance help on GBL_IPC_SUBSYSTEM_QUEUE:

The average number of processes or kernel threads blocked on the InterProcess Communication (IPC) subsystems (waiting for their interprocess communication activity to complete) during the interval. This is the sum of processes or kernel threads in the IPC, MSG, SEM, PIPE, SOCKT (that is, sockets) and STRMS (that is, streams IO) wait states.

This is calculated as the accumulated time that all processes or kernel threads spent blocked on (IPC + MSG + SEM + PIPE + SOCKT + STRMS) divided by the interval time.

The Global QUEUE metrics, which are based on block states, represent the average number of process or kernel thread counts, not actual queues.

The Global WAIT PCT metrics, which are also based on block states, represent the percentage of all processes or kernel threads that were alive on the system.

No direct comparison is reasonable with the Application WAIT PCT metrics since they represent percentages within the context of a specific application and cannot be summed or compared with global values easily. In addition, the sum of each Application WAIT PCT for all applications will not equal 100% since these values will vary greatly depending on the number of processes or kernel threads in each application.

For example, the GBL_DISK_SUBSYSTEM_QUEUE values can be low, while the APP_DISK_SUBSYSTEM_WAIT_PCT values can be high. In this case, there are many processes on the system, but there are only a very small number of processes in the specific application that is being examined and there is a high percentage of those few processes that are blocked on the disk I/O subsystem.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

Hi Pete,
The psoft8 response.
A test was done with just one psoft8 instance up and the performance was thought to be acceptable.
We are considering adding another Gb of memory and possibly secondary swap on another disk, but are not sure if it would help.
Eileen.
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

The OS is 11.00.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Eileen,

I guess all I can offer is that my IPC queue is 0. I would think that 20 sounds high but I'm not sure whether memory is the answer.

Anybody else out there care to offer an opinion?

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Let's bounce this back up to the top and see if anyone has an opinion to offer.

Pete