1748096 Members
5849 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

putty to client CentOS 4 server auth error after username

Rob Hausler
Occasional Advisor

putty to client CentOS 4 server auth error after username

When I try to log into a clients CentOS4 server via putty from remote I get asked for username, I type root and hit enter and then I get "No supported authentication methods left to try!" and my connection is lost.

However if I run putty from a PC on the clients lan it works fine.

any thoughts? same putty edition same settings - it used to work a few mnths back
13 REPLIES 13
Gfuss
Trusted Contributor

Re: putty to client CentOS 4 server auth error after username

Rob,
It sounds like a network setting change (e.g. firewall). If it worked before, and you haven't changed anything on the putty computer, they may have either changed the 'main' firewall or altered the iptables on the CentOS machine to only accept SSH/Telnet from local connections.

I'd try to sniff some packets (e.g. WireShark) to see what the actual packets are doing just before the error message.

-Gfuss
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I'm not a user, but from what I read, "PuTTY
is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH
for Win32 and Unix platforms, [...]". Are
you using it as a Telnet client or as an SSH
client? The "No supported authentication
methods" message sounds like SSH.

> [...] if I run putty from a PC on the
> clients lan [...]

On what do you run it when you're "from
remote"?

> [...] same putty edition same settings
> [...]

What's the same as what, where?

Does using putty's "-v" option tell you
anything interesting?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

When I see this it's usually the ssh protocol setting in putty being set to 1 when it needs to be set to protocol version 2
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Rob Hausler
Occasional Advisor

Ok some answers to the questions.

Yes I am using Putty to ssh not telent
I can connect on the lan using a XP pro workstation using the same version of putty (have tried version 0.58 & 0.60)

I try from remote again using XP Pro workstation and Putty 0.58 & 0.60

I even tried this morning to remove openssh-server and reinstall using yum to do both.

One I checked the IPTAbles and listed below.

:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:RH-Firewall-1-INPUT - [0:0]
-A INPUT -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
-A FORWARD -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type any -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 50 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 51 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp --dport 5353 -d xxx.0.0.xxx -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 631 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

I will make a note that I cannot ssh from the server to an external location.. i type,,
ssh address
i get a blank line and nothing.. till I quit ssh.

Hope this might enlighten some.
Gfuss
Trusted Contributor

I can see the line for SSH in the iptables.
Being green to iptables, it doesn't appear to be blocking SSH

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j

Append the rule (-A - as order doesn't matter), the rule is for NEW connections via tcp with a destination of 22 (ssh). It ends with -j, however, and I'm wondering if it should be -j ACCEPT to jump to ACCEPT.

While this doesn't help much, I still think it is a firewall issue especially since you are unable to connect from the server to another location via SSH.
Gfuss
Trusted Contributor

Rob,
I just realized the SSH line does end with -j ACCEPT, however, I didn't have it in my clipboard. Disregard my posting above about adding ACCEPT.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If the error message is "No supported authentication methods left to try", then that means SSH's authentication method negotiation has successfully started. It proves that a network connection is already established, so the firewall is not an issue.

Maybe the password authentication (for root at least) has been disabled for users coming from any place other than the client's LAN?

If the server is accessible over the Internet, there are various worms and other malware attempting to guess weak root passwords.

The current recommended practice for SSH is to *not* allow direct root logins over the Internet, and consider using SSH public key authentication whenever possible.

If your client has a requirement to keep a log of people using root-level access, direct root login is a *bad* thing: it does not create a record of *who* used the root-level access, just that someone did. This is an instant security audit failure in most security-sensitive environments.

MK
MK
Rob Hausler
Occasional Advisor

Ok so if this is the case - how do we get around the problem?

I thought that if a user in passwd had /bin/bash on the end of their record they had access to ssh?

Or am I missing something?

or is there a better way of doing this?
All howto's seem to relate to internal only examples..
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

To debug this problem, you must have access to the server, or get help from someone who has.

Examine the configuration file /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server. Refer to "man sshd_config" for details.

If the "PermitRootLogin" option is set to any value other than "yes", you are not going to get in using password authentication with the username "root". (There are four possible settings, not just "yes" or "no".)

If the sshd_config file contains any AllowUsers/DenyUsers/AllowGroups/DenyGroups keywords, only the allowed users can log in using SSH.

If the "PasswordAuthentication" is set to "no", SSH will require the use of stronger authentication methods from all users. The error message suggests this might be the cause.

If, as you say, you could login to the server as root while not on the client's LAN a few months ago, the server's security was in a very poor state back then. Maybe someone has since then clued up and made the server more secure.

MK
MK