108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

question about iis 6.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
mike worrell
Regular Advisor

question about iis 6.0

I'm running IIS 6.0 on win 2003. Justloaded it on. In setting up web sites and virtual directories I note under Application Protection I only have DefaultAppPool.. on our other boxes running iis 5.0 we have medium (pooled) low (pooled) , etc to choose from... Anyone know why I only have the one choice of DefaultAppPool

Thanks,
Mike
3 REPLIES 3
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: question about iis 6.0

IIS 6 by default run in worker process isolation mode - doesn't have "Low isolation" (when web site run into Inetinfo.exe)
Instead, IIS6 introduce Application pool.
You can run all your applications (IIS virtual directory) in same application pool (like "Medium" mode of IIS5) or you can create new applications pools (I think limit is about 60 applications pools) and run different applications in different application pools (like "High" mode of IIS5)
For backward compatibility you can define IIS 5.0 isolation mode as well

http://tinyurl.com/hu9mg
http://tinyurl.com/k47t2
"In earlier versions of IIS, applications ran in-process as DLLs in Inetinfo.exe (Low isolation) and the default process identity (account that the application runs under) was LocalSystem. With worker process isolation mode in IIS 6.0, applications never run in Inetinfo.exe. However, any applications that are not explicitly assigned to an application pool are assigned to the default application pool, which runs under the NetworkService process identity by default"

mike worrell
Regular Advisor

Thanks so much. So I should be ok with the default app pool shouldn't I?

MIke
:-)
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

>>So I should be ok with the default app pool shouldn't I?

Depends on your needs. For example, we usually use separate application pools (not default application pool) for new web sites , when site still not stable.
We also use one separate application pool for system applications website and we define administrator credentials for this application pool.

Read this article as well
http://www.developer.com/net/asp/article.php/2245511
"For example, if you want to isolate all the Web applications running in the same computer, you can do this by creating a separate application pool for every Web application and placing them in their corresponding application pool. Because each application pool runs in its own worker process, errors in one application pool will not affect the applications running in other application pools.
When you configure application pools for optimum availability, you also should consider how to configure application pools for application security. For example, you might need to create separate application pools for applications that require a high level of security, while allowing applications that require a lower level of security to share the same application pool"

Of course you can use default application pool for all applications as well