Does redhat support 8 and 9, can some one suggest stable kernel version,

which versions are supported by linux

thanks
chakri
3 REPLIES 3
Vernon Brown_4
Trusted Contributor

Re: question about redhat support for 8 and 9 versions

My understanding is that RedHat no longer supports RH 8 and 9. They are supporting Fedora Core; kind of; through the back door. So far their up2date program seems to be working Ok for Fedora.

The RedHat Enterprise releases for high end business applications seem to be best supported in house by RedHat.

I'm using Fedora Core 1; seems stable; price was right; $9 from http://www.cheapbytes.com/
KristofH
Frequent Advisor

Redhat doesn't support the "older" versions anymore. You can however take a look at the website of a project that aims to support "older" RH products. (it's not Red Hat backed, but Red Hat seems to support them a little bit)

Take a look, http://fedoralegacy.org/

An alternative is using Debian testing (their new installer is really great), but it's not completely compatible (yet I hope) with HP servers.

Cheers..
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

I have been wrestling with what version of Linux to use given all of the versions from different distributions and some linux versions that support limited hardware. I have found that linux versions seem similar and are based on similar kernels.

I think what should define your version and distribution of Linux is the OS features and applications that run on a particular version of the OS. As a Openview consultant some of the Openview products run on certain versions of the OS and will not run on certain distributions because they do not have the prerequisite rpms.

An example is my recent exposure to Network Node Manager on Linux which only runs on Redhat AS 2.1. I tried to get it running on other verisons but even when I fixed the run scripts I was missing many prerequsite RPMS that the product was built on.

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing other perspectives on this choice.

Good luck