Operating System - Microsoft
1753774 Members
6884 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "UMB upper limit segment address: E77B"?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Edgar:

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. How much RAM does it show in lower right of System Properties/General tab?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger

yep it registers 511mb. the 1mb is allocated for the onboard video. If the system is ideally set to run on 256k SDRAM should i change them?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Edgar,
I'm confused.
It seems your PC manager all 512Mb of RAM.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Edgar:

If your system seems to work with the 512MB RAM, I wouldn't change it (unless you're determined to get rid of the UMB message, in which case I would try 2 pieces of 100 MHz/256MB memory).

Here are the specs for the 810E chipset north bridge(GMCH) from Intel's website:

"The GMCH provides the interconnect between the SDRAM and the rest of the system logic:
├в ┬в 421 Mini BGA
├в ┬в Integrated Graphics controller
├в ┬в 230 MHz RAMDAC
├в ┬в Support for Intel Celeron and Intel Pentium III processors with a 66, 100 or 133 MHz system bus.
├в ┬в 100 MHz SDRAM interface supporting 64 MB/256 MB/512 MB with 16Mb/64Mb/128Mb
SDRAM technology
├в ┬в Optional 100/133MHz 4 MB Display Cache
├в ┬в Downstream hub interface for access to the ICH
├в ┬в TV-Out/Flat Panel Display support"

Therefore, the chipset will support 512MB RAM but apparently at 100MHz. I think the references on HP's website may be for the product as originally released and hardware changes were later made without updating the docs, or it may have to do that the system can be configured in several ways. Keep in mind that 256MB memory very likely did not exist when these documents were created.

HTH

M
Make a great day!

Roger

guys i've purchase pc100 dimms and still the message appears. I now hold the cpu upgrade ive done to be the cause of the UMB error. since some docs ive read says that this board (Asus MEW-AM rev 2.10) only supports up to 800mhz. although my system is stable and it registers the cpu as 1000B mhz. this is a tualatin proc, as ive been told. im not sure though how to identify a coppermine from tualatin. pls lead me to the latest bios update there is. thanks!
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Edgar:

I'm not convinced this (UMB upper limit segment address: E77B) IS an error message. I think it may simply be an information message. As I recall, the addresses from F000 through FFFF were traditionally allocated for "System" use. That's where the BIOS resided. This is a 4K-Byte area (4096 decimal). The message may be to inform you that the new BIOS is larger and will occupy the addresses from E800 through FFFF, a 6K-byte area (6144 decimal).

This is just off the top of my head and I have no time to research it now. For more info, try searching the web for UMB.

HTH

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger