7613 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: re Driver for Trident TVGA 90001-3 Video Chipset

Pierre M. Camilleri
Frequent Advisor

re Driver for Trident TVGA 90001-3 Video Chipset

Hi Everyone

I've installed RH 7.1 on an HP LH Plus server which has the above video chipset. When I try to load the X server this aborts due to the video chipset. This wasn't a problem under RH 6.2 which recognised my video chipset. I've tried doing a manual configuration using Xconfig but without success. Does anyone have or can point me to a Linux driver for this video chipset I have?

Many thanks
Pierre
1 REPLY 1
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: re Driver for Trident TVGA 90001-3 Video Chipset

Hello Pierre,

For standard HP Intel-based hardware, you can check the following URL to have some certification details :

http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/C1F5.epl

According to your current problem, there is a main difference between RH 6.2 and 7.1, according to the video card management : the XFree86 major version has changed (from 3.x to 4.x). Therefore, XFree86 3.3.6 which is the latest of 3.x series, supports a large number of accelerated video cards. However it is not the case for XFree86 4.x (may be in the future ???).

Additional details can be found at the following URL :

http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.3/Status33.html#33

With RedHat 6.2, only XFree86 3.3.6 is provided. However with RedHat 7.1, both 3.3.6 and 4.0.3 are included, but 4.0.3 is used by default.

I don't know exactly how to switch from 4.x to 3.x using RedHat, but I suggest the following steps :

=> In /etc/X11, suppress then re-create the symbolic link named "X" to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.

=> In /var/X11R6, do exactly the same as above.

=> In /etc/X11, save the previous XF86Config file(s) by renaming or moving them to another location.

=> Re-configure your video adapter using Xconfigurator or XF86Setup.

Of course, some of the software or libraries listed above may not be in your system. In this case, you will have to install them from the RedHat CD-ROMs.

Good luck.

Kodjo

P.S. : do not forget to assign a rank (from 1 to 10) to this answer.
Learn and explain...