New Discussion юеВ

re : linux grub error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

re : linux grub error

Hi Guys,
Can check how to solve a linux 4 enterprise dual boot os with winxp and linux and after I clone it boot up with a "GRUB" and hang there. Can someone help??

Regards
Vincent
nothing is better than to know more
5 REPLIES 5
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Re: re : linux grub error

>>after I clone it boot up with a "GRUB" and hang there

What you cloned, I suppose when i you make a dual boot system and install windows later, it over write the MBR,
so you will have to install the GRUB again with linux CD

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, can I have the step on how to install the grub from the CD media. As you are rite, I'm doing a dual boot on a master and cloning it to a slave. The model of the workstation is xw4600. Please advice??

Regards
Vincent
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor
Solution

> can I have the step on how to install the grub from the CD media.

Boot from your installation CD/DVD
(with the RHEL media you can enter "linux rescue", select your keyboard and lang prefs, skip the scanning of your media as well as initialisation of network and mounting of existing installations etc., just go for a root shell and issue "grub")
At the grub> prompt follow these instructions:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-natively.html#Installing-GRUB-natively

Then reboot into your Linux installation.

There you may have to add a menu.lst entry for your Windows installation.
Refer to the linked to manual for details.
Madness, thy name is system administration
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the info, by the way can I check if the Grub can be remove or I would say can the Linux by setup without Grub running. The reason is I have setup triple operating system on the w/s namely windows xp, windows 7 and linux . apparently grub can only handle 2 operating system on the boot menu , I think I need to use the windows 7 boot menu to handle all the three os . Please advice??

Regards
Vincent
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hi Vincent,

> can I check if the Grub can be remove or I would say can the Linux by setup without Grub running.

Sure, alternatively you can have your Linux installations being booted by Window's boot loader.
If you google you will find many howtos and instructions how this can be done.
Just for starters even Wikipedia might serve as a refernce:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting

> The reason is I have setup triple operating system on the w/s namely windows xp, windows 7 and linux .
> apparently grub can only handle 2 operating system on the boot menu , I think I need to use the windows 7 boot menu to handle all the three os .

That's not true, Grub can handle many different OSes. You only need to add menu.lst entries for each of them and do a bit of reading in the Grub manual which also has many examples how to boot different OSes.
Grub even has some "advanced" features like hiding and unhiding or "swapping" partitions so that OSes that require (due to their limitations) to be installed into a certain partition can also be booted.

Of course, the more OSes you need to boot from a single machine the more complicated (and potentially error-prone) it gets (especially in recovery scenarios).
So it is often easier to dedicated one machine (or disk) fully to one OS and consider running other OSes as virtual instances from this host operating system.
Madness, thy name is system administration